Chapter Thirty-Three: The Automatic Hate

The bar was open by two o'clock today, something I wasn't planning for when I got drunk this morning. Apparently they do this once every month. Tables were spread out over the dance floor and it essentially became a pub, complete with a sports game playing loudly on the tv behind the empty DJ booth.

I was now a waitress, serving the groups of gruff voiced, bearded men as they yelled at each other about teams and players and their wives. On that note, I now had the utmost respect and admiration for waiters and waitresses. I never really thought about how hard it is to carry drinks. I had to clear my head completely and pray to God I didn't trip. I had tried to use a tray to carry three drinks to a table, and almost lost all three before I even left bar. Jess demoted me to only serving two drink orders.

Not to mention how confusing the table number system was. The table numbers were displayed on a tiny card held in the middle of the table, and was barely visible from the bar. So, I spent most of my time craning my neck trying to figure out what table was which.

I placed two drinks, both different brands of beer in bottles, in front of two men, both in different types of hunting clothes. One wore a large green coat with multiple pockets and a dark red stain of spots on the arm that made me queasy. The other wore proper camouflage, images resembling dead leaf litter, grass, and dirt all over. They could be brothers, cousins, or completely unrelated, their faces were both almost identical and opposite.

"Thanks, darl'." The slightly broader one grumbled before turning to me. He took in my appearance, despite seeing me only minutes ago when I took his order. "Say, you're too pretty to be working in a place like this."

"Thank you." I forced out.

First step of customer service: hide your repulsion.

I turned to walk away but he reached out and pulled me back by the belt loop in my jeans. Don't throw up on him, don't throw up on him.

"I got a question, little lady." He snarled, following with a large gulp of his beer. Some of the froth stuck to his greying moustache. "Is this one of those pick-a-waitress places?"

"I don't..." I chuckled nervously. "I don't know what you're asking."

"You know, I pick a lady, take her upstairs, have some fun, then we come back and you get me another drink."

Realisation settled in and I yanked my jean loop out of his grimy finger, horrified. They both laughed with each other, amused by my disgust. Was this fun for them?

I looked up, searching for Hadeon. I found him standing outside the red door. Like magnets, his eyes flicked to mine. He must of seen the fear in my eyes because he rushed over to the table.

"Whats wrong?" He asked.

I turned so the men couldn't read my lips and whispered. "Please, just get rid of them." I begged.

I rushed away, headed for the hallway between the bar and the storeroom, as Hadeon ordered them to "Fuck off and never come back.". As I leant against the wall, my head in my hands, I heard Hadeon's footsteps coming closer.

"Are you okay?" He asked concerned.

I pulled my face up to meet his, small tears glistening in my eyes.

"I'm fine." I sighed. "I'm hungover and stressed about everything going on back in Sunshine and some guy old enough to be my father hitting on me just... ugh!" I kicked the wall in front of me and fell down to the ground. "I wish every single creepy guy who's ever existed just dropped dead. Is that evil?"

"No," Hadeon answered like he'd already thought it through. "Its not evil. Dropping dead painlessly would be letting them off easy."

"You know what?" I said. "You're right. They should be zapped by lightning, ran over by a truck, and then drowned in boiling water."

Hadeon laughed, loud and hearty. It warmed my heart.

My first day bartending popped into my mind. To be specific, Hadeon berating me for not being able to turn away customers making me uncomfortable.

"I'm sorry." I spoke up. "You shouldn't have to come and save me every time I face said creepy guys. I remember you telling me that my first day."

He shook his head. "Don't apologise." He sighed. "I was being a dick, I will happily save you from assholes like those guys any day."

"My knight in shining armour." I smiled up at him. His eyes captivated me, the brown irises almost gold in the lighting.

"Good job this morning, by the way." I acknowledged, pulling my eyes away from him and breaking the moment we were almost having. "How'd you replace that bottle so quick?"

"Jess didn't know I was awake." He explained. "I overheard her and Jack talking about it after he saw the bins, then, when he had a shower and she was letting the cleaners into the bar, I picked the bottle back out of the bins. It's back in the cupboard and full of water." He chuckled.

"Smart." I noted, laughing along with him.

Hadeon dusted off his pants and stood up, a hand outstretched to me. I took it and pulled myself up. My hand lingered in his, for a moment, before I pulled it out and put some distance between the two of us.

A look flashed over him. Subtle, but I noticed it.

"Are you sure you're okay?" He repeated. "You can take off, I'm sure Jess won't mind."

"I think I handle it." I sighed. "If I encounter anyone else that fits the creep description, I'll call the lightning and you can ready the truck."