Chapter 35: Morning

Daryl's POV

I open my eyes, blinking a few times. Hope's arms tighten around my middle ever so slightly. I ease myself up, kissing her forehead and getting up. I get dressed, leaving the room and starting to pace back and forth in front of the barn door. The sounds of everyone's quiet breaths keep the air still, almost serene. Every now and then I peek into my room, smiling a little when I see Hope sleeping, her bare back exposed to the rain soaked air.

I sigh and lean against the doorframe, stretching a little. I shut my eyes, letting my mind race. Now I have something else to keep my mind on; my wife.

Even after I kept leaving and giving her the silent treatment, she still wants to make me happy. She's the kind of woman that makes me want to sing in her ear until she falls asleep, and I don't sing.

She's perfect, and she still chose me.

The door to the barn rattles in the wind, breaking me from my thoughts. I move towards it cautiously. I peek through the gap only to see a huge hoard of walkers coming right this way. I shove the door shut, my muscles straining against the multitude of undead starting to press on it.

Maggie races to my side and starts pushing. I grit my teeth, my boots sliding in the slick mud beneath my feet. More and more people run over and help. Hope emerges from our room, pulling her shirt on hastily as she throws herself against the door next to me. It keeps rattling, the undead keep groaning, and we keep fighting against them.

----------

When morning comes, I sit against the far wall with Hope asleep in my lap. She cuddles against me, her nose brushing my neck as her soft breaths warm that spot on my skin. I hold her closer, shutting my eyes with fatigue as I kiss her forehead.

Maggie wakes up and walks over to me. She sits down, glancing at me briefly.

"You should get some sleep," she says softly.

I sigh heavily. "Yeah."

"It's okay to rest now."

I don't respond. She looks at Sasha, who sleeps with her back to us.

"He was tough," I mumble, thinking of Tyreese.

"He was," she replies.

"So was she," I continue. Maggie's lips purse, like she's trying not to cry again. "She didn't know it, but she was." She remains silent, and I grab the old music box Carl gave her. "The gearbox had some grit in it."

She takes it, looking at it for a moment.

"Thank you." She gives me a sad smile.

Hope stirs a little, wrapping her arms around me tighter. Maggie looks down at her.

"Glenn said you two were being kind of distant with each other. Is everything alright?" she asks.

I nod. "I was bein' a dick. She's tired, what with the baby and all. It wasn't the best time."

Maggie gets up and moves towards Sasha. She whispers something to the sleeping woman before leaving the barn for an early morning scout. Hope makes a small noise as her eyes open. She looks up at me, a smile gracing her pretty features.

"Mornin' beautiful," I murmur.

"Morning." She yawns. "Please tell me you slept a little last night."

"Yeah, I was holdin' you for a bit after we finished."

"And how long was that?"

I sigh. "An hour or two?"

She shuts her eyes. "You should've stuck around."

"I needed to think."

"You can think while you cuddle me."

"Nah. You're too damn attractive for that to be possible."

She laughs a soft musical laugh, and I smile lightly. We sit in silence, and I just keep my arms around her.

Suddenly, she makes a dry choking sound and claps a hand over her mouth, both our eyes widening simultaneously. She moves off my lap and throws up the little bit of meat and water in her stomach. She keeps dry heaving, hunched over on her knees. I rub her back, wishing I could make it stop.

The convulsions come to a halt and tears leak down her face as I pull her close to me again. She wipes her mouth as I hand her the water bottle in my belt. She grips it, taking a long gulp.

She nudges her worn out boots in the dirt, covering the little puddle on the ground. She leans back against my chest, shutting her eyes and holding her stomach as she grimaces. I kiss the side of her forehead, keeping my lips against her skin as I breathe deeply.

"We can make it," I murmur.

"Together," she whispers.

I only nod.