Chapter 45: Learning

I yawn a little as I open my eyes. Daryl shifts beside me, his nose buried in my hair. His arms remain securely locked around my middle and I squirm, trying to get away. I peek outside, where the sun tells me it must be around eight o'clock.

"You ain't leavin' yet," he grumbles, pulling me ever closer.

"I promised Elliot I'd meet with him. He wants to introduce me to Pete," I explain softly.

"Those two men can wait while you stay here with your man."

I roll my eyes, giving up and flopping back on to the bed and facing my husband. We got into our own house last night, just to try it out. It's definitely a strange feeling, seeing as Daryl and I never got to have our own place before. That is, unless you count the tent.

"So they're teachin' you?" he asks as I run my fingers over his dark strands of hair.

"Mmhmm. I didn't have a real job before this, but now they want to finish up my education." I smirk. "Hershel...he tried at the prison, but these guys have been at it for a while."

He nods. "I'm probably gonna hunt later today."

"Well, I'm glad you're doing something."

He leans over, trying to give me a kiss. I smile and push him away.

"No kisses until your morning breath is gone," I tease.

"Ain't never bothered you before." He leans closer, his eyes glinting.

"I dealt with it. Now-" He kisses me, cutting me off. I put my hands on his sturdy chest, pushing him away gently and hiding a smile. "You're annoying."

"Eh, you love me." He winks and nuzzles my cheek with his nose.

"That's true."

"Go learn all your nursin' stuff." He chuckles. "Do you get an outfit too?"

"You know that they're scrubs, right? Not that stereotypical white 'sexy nurse' thing?" I ask, throwing the covers off and climbing out of bed.

"Damn it. Really?" he asks, an adorably confused look on his sleepy face.

"Sorry babe. That's life."

He groans and ruffles his hair, spreading out across the entire mattress. I laugh and go to get dressed and freshen up.

When I emerge from the bathroom, dressed in my new scrubs, Daryl is up and wearing only his jeans. He squints as he looks himself over in the mirror, and my eyes travel over his scarred back. He notices me and turns, looking over my work outfit as I move to his side.

"Well, you make them look cute," he comments.

I kiss his cheek. "Thanks."

"Any mornin' sickness?" he asks.

I sigh. "A little. It's better now that we have proper food and water. My stomach isn't mad about being empty anymore." I laugh, making him smile lightly. "I'll see you later, alright?"

"Mmhmm," he grunts.

I leave the house, heading towards the medical building. As soon as I step on the front porch Lightning goes crazy, barking and wagging her tail as she races out to meet me. I pet the wiggling black animal, laughing.

"Morning Hope!" Elliot calls, smiling brightly as he adjusts his scrubs. "Ready to learn more?"

"Definitely."

I head inside, where I immediately catch sight of a blonde man near an examination table.

"Pete!" Elliot calls. The man looks over, smiling lightly. "Pete, this is Hope. She's our new nurse."

Pete shakes my hand. "Nice to meet you. You may have met my wife, Jessie."

I nod. "Yeah. She gave me a trim." I run my hand over my hair, which has been freed of the tangles and split ends I dealt with for so long.

"You're also the one Deanna said is pregnant?"

"Yes, that's true too."

"Congrats on your incoming little bundle of joy. I've got two of my own."

Lightning nuzzles my thigh, licking my fingers lovingly. I smirk and scratch her ears. Pete adjusts his coat, looking at his clipboard.

"A few people may come in for checkups today, but we don't have anything serious to work with yet," he comments. "Elliot? How much did you teach her already?"

"Next to nothing. I just gave her a tour last time," Elliot responds. "That and a checkup."

"Right. Good." Pete claps his hands together and smiles pleasantly. "How about we show you how to preform the checkups?"

"Sounds good," I reply.

The lessons go fast, seeing as I'm a quick learner. Soon enough, we're all sorting bottles of medicine and chatting aimlessly.

"Deanna's throwing a party tonight," Elliot comments. "Will you and your husband come?"

I shrug. "He isn't much for parties. We might just stop in to say hello."

"If you do, wear something nice," Elliot advises. "It should be a good time."

"Derek, he's an interesting man," Pete says.

"Daryl. His name's Daryl, and yes. He is an interesting man."

"Sorry. Daryl, right." He puts a bottle of pills in the correct bin.

"He doesn't seem like your type of guy," Elliot says, scribbling something down on a label.

I stop. "What's that supposed to mean?"

He smiles. "I don't mean anything offensive. It's just that you seem like a very...kind woman; educated, nice, smart. Daryl seems like...like..."

"A redneck asshole?"

Elliot lets out a small laugh. "For lack of a better term, yes."

I smirk. "Well, opposites attract I suppose."

The conversation falls into stuff about food, different meds, and lots of questions to me about living "on the outside". I remain reserved, knowing that's what Rick would want.

"You're doing wonderfully, Hope," Pete assures me. "You'll fit right in here."

I smile a tight lipped smile.

One can only hope.