Chapter 47: Party

Hope's POV

I almost use one of my camera pictures on Deanna's facial expression when she hears about the Buttons roundup. The horse refuses to move for anyone who isn't Daryl or me, which I find hilarious.

"Do you have some kind of stable?" I ask.

Deanna shakes her head. "Not that I know of. Maybe you two should look after him for now."

I nod, stroking his dark muzzle. Daryl nods, shifting his crossbow slightly.

"We'll figure it out," he says.

"There's a field with a fence inside. You can keep him there," she offers. "And...I think he'll be your horse. You brought him in, you take care of him."

"Gladly." I smile. "See you at the party."

She nods and walks away. Daryl and I bring Buttons to the field, where flowers and a few trees are growing. We let him go and run free again. He neighs happily and begins grazing. Daryl shuts the gate, taking my hand as we walk towards our house.

"How about we clean ourselves up, go to the party and say hello, grab a few beers, and leave?" I ask.

He smiles, kissing my forehead. "You get me, except I don't want you drinkin'."

"Of course. I'll have a soda." I smile, his hand resting on my stomach fleetingly.

We shower, change into some clean clothes, and head back out all within a decent amount of time. Daryl wears a button up black shirt underneath his vest with his regular jeans and shoes, while I wear a black v-neck sweater and jeans with my black boots.

"Daryl, wait," I say, holding up my camera. "Smile."

He raises an eyebrow. "Pictures?"

"It's just for fun." I snap the picture. When it prints out, I laugh and put it on the counter. "Oh yeah, that's a keeper."

He rolls his eyes, looping an arm around my waist as we head out. The street is peaceful, the cool night air surrounding us comfortably. Deanna's house is alive with light, music, and the conversations of people. Daryl tenses and I look up at him.

"Go in, say hello, get the booze, and leave," I murmur. "Then we've got the whole night to ourselves."

He nods, rubbing my arm a little. "Yeah. A'ight."

We go up the steps and push open the door. The loudness feels like a smack to the face, but nevertheless, I pull Daryl inside as we shut the door.

Abraham and Rosita linger near the door, eyeing everything carefully.

"Hey guys," I say, pulling Daryl along with me. "Enjoying yourself?"

"There's booze. That's good," Abraham says.

Rosita smirks. "It's a little strange."

"You've got that right," Daryl grumbles. "The whole town's here..."

Tara scoots over to us, holding a glass.

"Sup dudes?" she asks, leaning against the wall.

"Wantin' to leave," Daryl grumbles. I elbow him gently.

"There's food." Tara shrugs. "I'm just enjoying the security."

"There is that," Rosita agrees.

"I'm gonna get a beer," Daryl says. He takes my hand. "Come on, babe."

He pulls me away, weaving among the people easily, determined to get to the drinks. We reach it, where he grabs a beer and I grab a soda. He uses his teeth to pop off the bottle cap of his while I simply twist the cap off. We tap them together and both take a gulp. The fizzy orange taste is nice on my tongue.

"Daryl! Hope!"

We turn to see Rick waving at us, Judith cradled in his free arm. We move towards him.

"Hey Rick," I greet him. "How's the party?"

"Good." He shrugs. Judith coos. "I'm guessing at you're gonna take off pretty soon though."

"Between her being more tired from the baby and my not wantin' to be here at all? Yeah, you're right," Daryl grumbles, tipping his bottle back again.

Rick laughs, as do I.

"Oh, there's a lady asking about cooking us our favourite meals. What would you two want?" he asks.

"Lasagna," I say immediately. "Or anything Italian."

Daryl scratches his head. "Cake? Maybe?"

We laugh again. The three of us look out at the people. Noah, Glenn, and Maggie chat and laugh with the Alexandrians, Carl talks to the other kids, and everyone seems to be in a good mood. Elliot notices me and smiles, waving. I wave back.

Daryl arches an eyebrow. I notice and smirk.

"That's Doctor Elliot," I whisper. "Don't worry."

Daryl breathes a sigh of relief. "Ok, we said hello. Can we go?"

I look to Rick, who nods. "Have a good sleep."

"We will," I say.

We walk away, saying quick hellos to a few people. Daryl grabs two more beers before we get out the door.

"Damn, are we introverted or what?" he mutters.

I smirk and kiss his cheek. We keep walking, him holding his two bottles in his hands. As we walk past Aaron's house, the light switches on and the door swings open.

"Daryl, Hope!" Aaron calls. "Hey."

Daryl stops, urging me to stop too.

"Thought you were goin' to that party over there," Daryl mentions.

"Oh, I was never going to go 'cause of Eric's ankle, thank God." Aaron chuckles.

"Why the hell did you tell me to go then?"

"I said try. You did. It's a thought that counts thing."

"A'ight."

We start to walk away when he stops us.

"Hey, come in. Have some dinner," he offers. My stomach rumbles at the idea. Daryl doesn't move. "Come on, man. It's some pretty serious spaghetti."

My eyes light up and I look to my husband.

"Italian..." I whisper.

He takes one look at my puppy eyes and nods. "Fine. Just tell me when you're tired."

"Yes sir." I salute.

He smirks before we head up onto Aaron's porch.