Chapter 6: Daddy Issues

I'm leaning against a wall. In front of me lies a cosy looking living room, with a big couch and a few armchairs. An empty Slurpee cup sits on the coffee table, near a stack of coasters and some magazines. Pictures of a little girl with fuzzy brown hair are everywhere.

A woman stands in front of me. Wavy, smooth brown hair, chocolate brown eyes, and pale, clean skin. Light freckles dot her nose, and she has her arms crossed across her chest, her face looking sad, like something weighs heavily on her heart. Her arms and legs are slim, and she stands with an air of confidence.

I don't recognize her. The strange woman in front of me gets a confused look on her face as I think this. I raise my arm, and so does she. I step back, shocked for a split second.

It's me. Me, before the apocalypse happened. I look away, and the mirror-like image in front of me shatters.

I also know that I'm in my house. My childhood home back in Saskatoon, to be exact. It looks the same, like a cabin, the way my mom liked it.

My dad sits in one of the armchairs, watching the tv. He looks the same as when I last saw him. Thinning black hair, large glasses, and a large belly that wasn't there when I was younger. He's wearing a striped blue shirt and beige pants with a large belt. He sips a drink, probably coffee, from a mug, and every once in a while, he flinches or makes a groaning sound when his hockey team fails to score a goal.

My heart aches when I see him like this; human, alive, happy, and proud of his genius, veterinarian daughter.

"Hope dear. Can you come help me set the table?" a sweet voice calls.

"Coming mom," I say, walking into the old kitchen.

My mom wears a purple t-shirt and jeans underneath her yellow checkered apron. Her long brown hair is curly, like mine, and she smiles when she sees me, causing her dark brown eyes to twinkle and creases to appear near her eyes.

"Put the meatloaf on the hot pad," she says, handing me a pair of oven mitts.

I put them on, opening the oven. The blast of heat hits me, and I reach in, grabbing the pot and pulling it out. I close the oven with my foot, turning it off before heading to the dining room. I place the pan down, and my mom heads to the living room, shutting off the tv and ushering my dad into the dining room. Steaming pots of corn and mashed potatoes sit near a china gravy boat, waiting to be eaten.

I haven't seen a meal like this in a long time.

We bow our heads, and my dad says a quick prayer.

"Dear God, thank you for blessing us with this food. I want to thank you for our amazing daughter, and that she is doing so well in her studies. God bless this house, bless this family. Amen." We all mumble an amen and start eating.

As we finish up, I stand up, pushing my chair in. My fingers grip the back of the chair, turning my knuckles white.

"I have to tell you something," I say.

My parents watch me. My dad raises an eyebrow, and my mom keeps a pleasant smile on her face.

"I know that you guys love me, and are very proud of how far I've come in my studies." I take a deep breath, and I prepare myself. "I...I've decided...to...move. To Atlanta."

My dad's eyes widen, and my mom's smile leaves her face.

"I've always wanted to visit Georgia, so I'm going to move there until I have enough money to go to Los Angeles...Hollywood, you know? And...become an actress."