8. Fragility

Words Count - 2610
Attached Song - Memories
___________

[Neha Mehra]

"I want Viraj, Papa. I know, he is forced into marriage with Kiara and he seems ready to accept me too, but the only problem is that I am married to his brother. Hence, he is not giving me a chance too." I complained as Papa caressed my hair.

"Don't you want to give even a single chance to your husband?" He inquired, furrowing his brows in worries.

"Papa, for the last time, I don't consider him as my husband. I don't even believe in this rubbish marriage in the first place." I raised my voice at him, annoyed.

Concentrate on beautifying your marriage, Neha. Surfraaz is good for you.

His words rang in my head, making me enraged.

"I know, I know. But, you guys just stop this damn drama of sympathising that man. I am already an adult enough to decide, who is the best one for me. Please, Let take my own decisions." I muttered out, exhausted.

"Why don't you understand, I love Viraj and want to be with him, not his good-for-nothing brother!" I snapped again, my heated mind taking over my senses.

"You realise, about whom you are talking right now? Willingly or unwillingly, he is your husband." Mumma's voice made me calm myself down.

"Wheather you accept it or not." She further added.

"Fine, I will free myself from this marriage." I shouted, as I approached our main door.

"When you'll regret it, there will be nothing left to fix, Neha. Stop yourself from approaching that disaster now only." I heard her say, but I stormed out of our house, unresponsive.

"I won't regret anything." I whispered to my own self.

I made up my mind to make it all clear to Surfraaz during the dinner time and launched my words just before he was about to sleep.

I expected him to resist or argue back when I asked him to keep our marriage hidden, but, he surprised me by instantly agreeing to my demand.

I smiled at the accomplishment of my first step, and decided on the further plan of getting back Viraj in my life.

But, who would help you, Neha?

I felt bitter at the thought of how alone I was in this little mission of mine. A mission, which I had to conquer for my own happiness, by getting the man, I've always desired.

The lonely room felt lonelier and more darker than ever. Darker sucking out the remnants of the energy I had in my worn out body. I wanted softness of the mattress to tuck me to sleep, as softly as my mother used to do but, the softness felt hard and aloof like the cold room.

"Raaz" I muttered, hoping that he would perhaps be awake to hear me out and come to me. But, he didn't.

Wrapping the blanket around my body, I hugged my knees, sitting on the bed. The silence was too much, that it made the clock's running second hand make the loudest noise with those of the crickets. Hopping out of the bed, I padded softly to the balcony, still holding the blanket around me in a vice grip.