46. Confluence in Chaos

Words Count- 4050
Attached Song- Aaj Jaane ki zid na karo by Papon.
______

[ Neha Mehra ]

I stroked the long fine lines, horizontally scribbled on his forehead with my thumb tenderly as my fingers tousled his salt-and-pepper hair. His wilting body was flagged and laid spiritless before my moist eyes. His listless visage was glowing in tranquillity. My eyes drank in his lethargic time ravaged and chiselled face, that was nestled in the valley of my two palms.

"Papa" I addressed him. It felt so long, I pronounced it. That was so selfish of me to not call him once. How could I leave him all by himself these past two years?

His face appeared world-weary as his angelic and vivacious smile chanced upon me. His gnarled fingers curled around my thumb as I heard his fast yet faltering voice after so long.

"My princess has become so lean. Isn't it, Ruchi?" His feeble sound fell in our ears. I nodded, laughing.

"And, you've become so fat," I muttered, poking his protruding belly.

"Why not, I got my wife all to myself for these two years to feed me and take care of me without a tall devil between us." Papa had his lopsided smirk on.

"Why didn't you tell your wife to dye your hair? You resemble a 90-year oldie." I taunted as I saw Mumma entering inside the room.

"Yes, scold this Oldie. He didn't even tell me he had chest pain for the last two weeks and fainted in the office two days ago. I just got to know from his P.A." Mumma huffed, as Papa pouted.

"What's the thing that you have been thinking so much?" She demanded.

"Woman, I am sick. Instead of pampering me, why are you scolding me?" Papa started his melodrama.

"Papa, what has been troubling you so much?" I asked, resting our entwined hands on my lap.

"It's nothing. Tell me, how's life treating you both?" He counter-questioned as his eyes moved from me to Raaz, talking on his phone through the oval glass section of the well-polished mahogany door.

"We are good, papa. Both of us were isolated together and got discharged just a week ago." I replied with a smile as my eyes glanced at the transparent part of the door and on that passing moment, our eyes met through the glass door. A small smile kissed his lips, reciprocating my smile. He ran his fingers on his unkempt hair, making it more uncanny than it already was.

"Finally, It looks like I can expect my fourth grandchild now." He whispered to Mumma, to which they shared a laugh.

"Fourth grandchild?" I was befuddled.

"Along with you and Sachin, I have two more children now. Kaustuv and Kiara. After Jeevan and buggie, now Kiara is giving me another grandchild. So, if your baby will come, it will be my fourth grandchild. Isn't it? " He stated.

"Kiara Di is pregnant?" I asked to confirm, to which Mumma nodded.

"Ruchi, my kids are indeed so slow. One is not ready to get married, and the other one doesn't try." He complained, to which I whined.

"I've heard everything from Ruchi. Dear, sometimes we realise the value of our close ones when they are lost. Maybe, you both met at the wrong time but Neha, he is a gem. Don't ever lose him", He advised to which I nodded.

"Papa, I am just searching for the right moment to confess my feelings for him," I answered.

"Baby, there's no such accurate moment. You need to make the moment right to speak your heart out or else, you will just keep waiting and won't even realise, you have already lost him. So, do it soon. You have already delayed enough." He suggested and Mumma affirmed. I nodded in response.