58. It's Over

Words Count- 2300
Attached Song- Kaun Mera
___________

[ Neha Mehra ]

I was contrite for the silence, I held so dearly as I submerged my hand in the bowl of chilled water. Bearing the repercussion of that grave silence was unstitching my wounds at the dawn. I winced as the antiseptic liquid felt like molten hot lava re-scapping my skin, sleekly.

"He hated to see this ring in my ring finger." I mumbled to my own self as no one was there at home, putting a bandage on my red, swollen and bruised finger to let it replenish the worn out tissues.

Last evening, I had an appointment with a physician to enact dental floss/ threading procedure to draw out this ring from my ring finger but, she had to use the ring cutter due to unexpected swelling. The ring cutter procedure went a bit wrong, giving me a curvilinear cut.

I won't let him leave me. I was waiting for the termination of the divorce petition. I had already filed the written application for withdrawal to the court, where our case was being evaluated to proceed further.

Just a day more.

I was regressed by the fact that I didn't get to wish him first on his birthday. His words were still resonating in my head as I got dressed for my shift at the hospital. It was already 8:00 AM.

The first thing I did after reaching the hospital was to peep into his cabin. But to my bad luck, it was vacant. I strongly wished for someone to inform me of his whereabouts.

It's been hours, I saw him.

"Did you both have a fight?" Asmita plopped her head from beside me as I jumped on my place, scared.

"You've been doing this peek-a-boo game for the past ten days. What's up?" She piped in, raising her brows at me.

"He had a misunderstanding and it kinda turned into a fight between us." I replied seriously.

"Ah, I knew it. Now that I've become a master at simplifying relationships, I can be your relationship expert for a day." She flipped her hair dramatically as she leaned on the wall.

"No need. I'll manage." I shrugged, trying to flee from her expert advice.

"Nevertheless, I'll preserve my advice for your husband." She blurted out, gleefully.

"You won't say anything to him." I warned her. Simultaneously, her phone rang. She stared at the screen, only to direct me a teasing look, wriggling her brows.

"Dr. Asmita, how are you?" I heard his voice as she put her phone on the speaker mode.

"I am doing great, sir." She mused, winking at me.

"Is there anything you need?" She asked after my periodic insistence.

"uh no. I mean, yes." He fumbled.

"Can you ask Dr. Neha to call me back? She isn't picking up my calls." He sneakily murmured. It was so fast, we would've missed it if not for the phone being in speaker and our ears keen on his voice.

I instantly checked my phone to see 3 missed calls from him. I was so foolish to keep it on silent mode. Shit!

Gesturing her to quickly decline the call with Raaz with a few last words, I dialled him. Maybe, he changed his mind.

"Hey, I'm sorry. My phone was in silent mode." I spoke desperately as soon as the call connected. I felt a renewed hope waving at me.

"Alright. It was nothing urgent. I just called you to inform that Maa wanted to talk to you once. She is outstation currently, so whenever you're free after three days, talk to her if you wish." I sighed, as I expected something else.