44. Convalescing

Words Count- 1700
Attached Song - STAY
______

[ Surfraaz Mehta]

  "Neha, are you ready yet?" I tapped my black shoe restlessly on the floor, as I checked my black suit with a white shirt underneath. A black tie with cut mirrors of small parallelograms fit on it. A metallic silver cloth along with a white rose perfectly plunged inside my breast pocket. 

I saw her coming down the stairs in a silver sequin ruffles lehenga, paired with a multi-coloured tahitian pearl and diamond necklace, a silver rose ring on her right hand forefinger and earrings of the same collection made her look pulchritude.

"You are looking out of the world." I exclaimed as she stood by my side.

"We are late. Come on. Step on it!" I rushed to hold her hand." As I held her finger, I stopped.

"You still have temperature?" I mumbled, that sounded more like a query. What's with this recurring fever?

"You sure, you are fine?" I asked again for the umpteenth time, from the last two days.

"I'm really fine. It's just that I am having heavy bleeding, so I had to take a bath and change again. It got me delayed." She answered, trying to sound energetic. Though, she was drastically failing at it.

"Is it normal?" I asked, startled.

"No, it isn't. Hormonal imbalance, maybe. Don't worry. I am alright. If I don't feel fine, we will go to a gynaecologist while coming back. Let's go." She nudged me.

"Neha, you don't look alright." I whispered as I cupped her heated up face. As my glance took in her petite figure, I realised how much weight she has lost in such a short duration. I have seen her clutching her throbbing head all over the day too, but I had no idea what was wrong with her.

But, something was definitely wrong with her.

We rode to the venue. I was gossiping with some of the guests, when Kshiraj and Priya entered. All this while, I could feel Priya's pointed stare directed towards Neha. Then, I saw her excusing herself to talk on a phone call. I followed her to ask about Neha when I heard her hushed speech. But, I only could make out the word 'ambulance' from all the conversations. What is she up to?

The dance had just started to vibe the ceremonious night, when Neha was going to give her gift to the new couple. But before she could climb the stairs to reach the stage, she fell. I hurried to her rescue, only to be halted by Priya.

I saw Neha, lying on the grass field thankfully, she wasn't physically injured, but unconscious. Everyone was flocked around her.

"Shay, what happened to her? She was telling me about abdominal cramps and vomiting her guts out, a moment ago." Saanvi inquired.

"When exactly that occurred?" I asked back.

"An hour ago." She mumbled, after thinking a little too much. Her parents were concerned and were getting worried.

But, now I was finally connecting the dots. It all started with those two females, Sunita and Monu. And, the whole hospital in their contacts was suffering.

In a fleeting minute, I saw an ambulance approaching. Priya knew all of it. I looked towards her direction, to see her comprehending something strongly.

Soon enough, I saw Dr. Vyom run out in his surgical gown, face shield and full gloves towards Neha. A group of senior doctors rushing out with him. Tension was what wrapped all of us. Though I felt bad for my sister's ruined reception, my heart was unstable seeing Neha in such a condition. One after other kits were being opened, tested and disposed of. I asked Neil's parents to call off the reception and they did so, understanding our situation.