fifty-four; tension

A U R O R A

"So when you gonna tell her we did that, too? She thinks it's special, but it's all reused. That was our place, I found it first. I made the jokes you tell her when she's with you."

. . .

I didn't run into Riccardo the entire day, which I'm grateful for. If only all days were going to be like this one from now on.

At one point I thought he was working from home since there was no sign of his presence all day, but I quickly told myself that I don't care where he is.

The day flew by, and now it's time to head to Alex's place. Anna comes knocking on my door at around seven. I didn't realize that I've been working until this late.

But I got a lot of work done and sent a lot of documents through, proud of myself for accomplishing all of it.

"How was your day?" Anna asks as I'm gathering my things. "Good, went by quickly," I grin and put my coat on, grabbing my case next.

We step out into the hallway, and I see James getting out of his office as well. When he lays eyes on me, he smiles.

"I know you! You worked with us for a short time. God, your name is on the tip of my tongue," he chuckles.

I let out a little laugh. "Aurora."

He snaps his fingers. "Aurora! I knew it was a special name," he chuckles. Anna cringes. "Don't flirt with her, James. She's just new, let her adjust," she says with a roll of her eyes. We start walking towards the elevator.

"I'm just being nice!" he fires back. "I appreciate your efforts," I laugh as we get in. Anna presses for the garage, and the elevator starts going down.

"I've already informed Alex that we're coming," she says, "he left early and is already expecting us."

"Are we going to order food?" James asks. "Yes."

I mentally cringe. I've been ordering way too much food lately and have been working out to compensate. I think I'll just order the healthiest food there is on the menu.

We get to the parking lot. Anna and I both get in her car while James goes separately. "So, how's New York so far?" Anna asks as we're on the road.

"Cold," I answer, "and pretty nice. I like the place I got here and I have a friend whom I meet up with on the regular."

"You come here often?"

"Not as often as I'd like, but I usually come with my friends or family and now I'm here alone, which feels weird but also liberating," I say honestly.

Though I hope I won't be living off post-mates when I go live alone.

"I get you, living in New York feels refreshing. Two months after Riccardo left for New York, my friend got accepted into NYU and we both decided to move into an apartment here. James being the clingy guy he is, moved here as well since all his friends are here and he's grown used to working with me," she chuckles.

"Aw, that's pretty cute," I giggle. She cringes. "He's like an annoying little brother, give me a break."

I snort. "Well, I do have a little brother. I think it's worse than having a friend who behaves like one."

Talking about Nicholas brings a little smile to my face. He's been texting me non-stop, asking me how I'm doing. I know he does this because he knows how lonely I can feel sometimes.

Anna parks her car somewhere, and we both get out. Following her, we rush to one of the apartment buildings where she presses the bell.

We're in one of the nicer sides of New York, and it's close to where I live. I glance behind me and see James heading our way as well.