What Will It Take?

Gene POV

I walked down the hall to Peter's hotel room, letting out a sigh before knocking. There was a pause before he pulled open the door, clutching a few dried roses, face blotchy and eyes rimmed red from crying. 

"Hey. You've gotta get going, we've got a show," I said gently.

He gave me a miserable look. 

"I don't wanna perform. It hurts not seeing her out in the audience," he said.

"I know. But you've got an obligation as our drummer."

"I'm such an idiot. You were right. I should've just...should've just told her."

"You should've. But just give her time to cool off, alright? Try and think of something nice you can do for her, something to show you're sorry, something she'd really love. Think about it while you're getting ready though. This is our last show of the tour, then we're finally home," I said, and he sighed. 

"I lied about where I was from too. I said I only lived an hour or so away instead of the four hours it actually is." 

I patted him on the shoulder. 

"I'm sure you'll be able to fix it," I said reassuringly, patting him on the shoulder. 

"Alright," he mumbled, setting the dried roses back into a slightly beat up cardboard box, trailing after me to the dressing room like a lost puppy dog. 

I couldn't help but keep an eye on him as we got ready. He was just going through the motions and not even Ace's cheerfulness could snap Peter out of his slump. 

As the show started, he was still a bit off. I exchanged a worried glance with Paul. It wasn't to the point where anyone in the audience could tell, but we had been playing together for years, it was easy for us to see. But to my equal parts confusion and relief, he seemed to pick back up about halfway through, going right back to playing the drums just as he usually did. 

I tried to pull him aside and ask how he was doing after the show but he just gave me a dismissive comment, running off to the dressing room. He was already gone by the time I got there.

"So what do you think is up with him?" Paul asked.

"Hopefully he just thought of what to say to apologize," I said, starting to take off my armor.

I took my time getting changed back into regular clothes before heading to his room to check on him. To my surprise, he didn't answer. Frowning, I headed to my room, about to call Ace and ask if he knew where Peter went when my phone began to ring.

"Hello?"

Ace: Curly guess what Peter did!

"What?" I asked in a tired voice, bracing myself.

Ace: He stole the private jet to go home and see his girlfriend! 

His voice was full of glee and barely suppressed laughter while I just stood there in shock.

"He did WHAT?!" 

Ace: He paid off the pilot! 

I closed my eyes, massaging my temples. 

"You've got to be kidding me."

Ace: Nope! 

"Dammit if his girlfriend doesn't murder him I swear I will," I said, hanging up and letting out a long sigh.

Well, at least he had finished the show first.