CHAPTER SIX . 家と呼ばれる場所

❝ 家と呼ばれる場所 ❞
a place called home

❝ 家と呼ばれる場所 ❞a place called home

LIYUE WAS RENOWNED for its magnificent tradition and culture

LIYUE WAS RENOWNED for its magnificent tradition and culture. Passed from generation to generation, heirs and heiresses were expected to uphold said traditions. Great, noble families stood at the frontlines of these ideals, standing to protect and preserve their lineage and honor.

(l/n) Li Chen, your adoptive father, desperately sought an heir to the massive empire that was the (l/n) Trading Company. He was born with a defective body, a medical aliment that made him unable to help produce an heir. He remarried, time and time again in order to find a woman who can give him the heir he so desperately wanted; unable to come to terms with his own bodily distinction. The immense pressure placed upon his shoulders reflected the marriage as each only lasted mere months— if not, weeks. Until he met your adoptive mother.

Jiang Ying Yue, born into an upper-middle class family of carpenters. Her acclaimed beauty preceded her reputation thus your father sought her hand in marriage. The union was highly publicized and many of the nobility criticized your father's choice in remarrying— a commoner marrying someone characterized as nobility. Nonetheless, they were wedded. Still, no heir came in their first year of marriage but they were happily in love, for the first year.

But their marriage wasn't as idyllic as they had hoped. A year into the marriage, Li Chen began to seek out mistresses as his wife was also unable to give him an heir. Eventually, Ying Yue convinced her husband to adopt you, age ten. He was against adopting you at first but reluctantly gave in. Your adoptive mother was overjoyed, happy to have a child to care for. She doted upon you. You were her precious child, blood-related or not. You were hers.

The memories of your childhood blurred with the torment your adoptive father put you through. Rigorous academics, torturous tutors, whips and lacerations as punishment. Your only escape was through your adoptive mother's kind touches. She gave you everything you ever desired; affection, toys, and tales of love from a distant past between her and your adoptive father.

At age thirteen, you were named the heiress of the company, to which the public shamed the idea of allowing an orphan to lead the great family. Ying Yue took the forefront of criticism, never allowing any of the public's words to reach your ears. She did her best to protect you though the scars could never fully heal.