CHAPTER EIGHTEEN . 星の下で誓う

❝ 星の下で誓う ❞
vow made in the stars

❝ 星の下で誓う ❞vow made in the stars

"DID (Y/N)'S ADOPTIVE FATHER EVER TAKE ANY MISTRESSES?"

SCARAMOUCHE'S VIOLET HUES glossed over the inked text of the document hastily, making a mental note of the names present on the list and their associations to you. He gestured to Wenling, summoning her to his side in order to clarify the roles of each individual named on the paper before him.

"This is highly improper, Lord Scaramouche..." Wenling breathed, adjusting her posture in discomfort. Professional as ever, she tried to divert any defamatory comments made about the family. "We as servants of the house cannot—"

"If you want my help to find the culprit, tell me their names." Even if Wenling had turned down his offer to assist in finding you, Scaramouche would go looking for the records himself. He wasn't going to give up so easily.

Wenling bit her bottom lip, demonstrating some reluctance but nodded nonetheless. She gestured to the documents, pointing at the three files in front of Scaramouche. "There were many... but there are three main mistresses that Sir took before and after his marriage to Ying Yue. Hualing, Su Zhen, and Xue Yi. The latter two were mistresses that Sir took after his marriage. Hualing was a personal favorite of Sir's... but they were forbidden from marrying as Hualing's lineage was not suitable. Her reputation as an... actress, who dealt with the more carnal aspects of society was not well received by the Board members."

Scaramouche nodded along, scanning over their individual reports before coming across something rather peculiar. "This one," Scaramouche pointed to Hualing's report. "The reports indicate that she died... What happened?"

Wenling pursed her lips, shaking her head. "I'm afraid I cannot give you a proper answer... From what I remember, no one knows what happened. It happened right before Sir's marriage to Ying Yue and many suspected that he had her killed as she bore his child but those were just rumors... No one can confirm anything..."

Scaramouche listened along, nodding quietly. "Pregnancy... Do you suppose that she could've died from complications of birth?"

Wenling shook her head once more. "I apologize, Lord Scaramouche. I was very young at this time and everything I just told you were simply rumors among the staff. I cannot confirm any of this information nor do any records of a possible child from Hualing exist."