✨F O U R✨

I sat sleepily on the stool at the kitchen counter while Cara ate her fruit salad. The first race would be in a few days, so we would be leaving tomorrow. My mood was therefore conceivably in the basement. I didn't want to go back to the track, not like this, not now. Never again.

 Cara, who had just typed something on her mobile phone, held it up to me. "And what am I supposed to do with this?", I mumbled and rubbed my eyes. I had slept bloody badly, which was not uncommon with me. "Reading," she sighed annoyed, which I did. "An article about Lando?", I echoed in surprise, raising an eyebrow. "Yeah, thought you'd be interested in that." "I don't give a shit about his life story, or any other driver's," I hissed irritably and stood up. "I'm going to work," I then added and disappeared into the workroom, which was actually a library of sorts, with a desk and reading chair. I grabbed a book from the shelf and snuggled down on the armchair with a fluffy blanket. Cara could kiss my ass. She knew exactly how I felt about Formula 1 and yet she made me do it. Nevertheless, my guilty conscience plagued me and I dug out my mobile phone. I quickly dialled Lando's contact, whom I had saved in the meantime. But he didn't answer. So, okay. Then don't. I puffed and opened the book I had already read many times. So often that I already knew every word and could certainly recite it by heart.

✧✧✧

The next morning the alarm clock rang at four. I had half a heart attack, precisely because I only wanted to go to bed now. Although I already knew the book, every plot and twist was no longer a surprise, it had captivated me so that I had lost track of time. Oops, that wasn't intentional. Especially as I was supposed to still be working. 

I quietly slipped out of the room into mine and snuggled into bed. Cara would come in a minute and want to wake me up, so I had to at least give the impression that I was asleep. I just hoped she wouldn't go into my workroom, because there were lots of empty Coke bottles and empty coffee cups. Cara would kill me.

"Good morning Hailey." The blonde-haired girl gently jerked my shoulder. "We're leaving in an hour," she whispered. She got a grumble in response. "Okay, you're awake. I'm going to take a shower and you can start packing the rest of your things," she informed me and disappeared again. Of course, I hadn't even begun to pack my suitcase, although my best friend had pointed it out to me every day. But I just didn't feel like it, or have the energy. I crawled out of bed again, which hadn't even warmed up properly, and calmly started stuffing things into my suitcase, which had been lying next to my wardrobe all this time. Cara had said she was going to Melbourne and assumed it would be warm. I stuck to my black hoodies and jeans. When I had finished packing, I went into my workroom, unplugged the charging cable of my MacBook, put the MacBook into its case and put everything into a backpack. Two more books ended up in it and then I started to tidy up the workroom before Cara would notice the mess. She was like my mother when it came to tidiness. They both got along great, which was always exhausting for me and my dad. Sometimes it had felt like she was their second daughter, because the two of them definitely had more in common than my mum and me. Did this bother me? Nope, not really.

 Cara, who had also finished showering, went to the kitchen for breakfast. I, on the other hand, took a quick shower and then stuffed a towel and toilet bag into my suitcase. I had finished quite early, which you wouldn't expect from me. And now the crowning glory; I actually wasn't the least bit tired. "Hailey? Are you ready?", I heard my best friend call out. "I am," I replied and walked into the kitchen. "Are we ready then?" She looked up. "No." Confused, she looked at me. "You can, I can't." She groaned in annoyance. "Don't make such a fuss. You can hole up in your room all the time then. I can bring you food too." I pressed my lips together. "Okay. Let's go then." I grabbed my phone off the table and then put on my shoes and jacket. "I already called a taxi." "Good for you." "Hailey! Just stop, okay? I'm just trying to help." "If you want to help, then leave me here." "Absolutely not. You're coming with me. And you might even like it. It's allowed, you know. To find someone or something great," she bitched and stomped outside with her suitcase and handbag. I refrained from commenting and followed her. Okay, she was in a bad mood. The next twenty-four hours were going to be tough because I was probably sitting next to her on the plane for the next few hours. Maybe I could change my seat after the stopover in Abu Dhabi?

In the taxi, I also decided to answer my mobile phone, which I really rarely did. At least I rarely went on social media. I read the message from Lando that he must have written to me last night. A simple hey, an apology that he hadn't answered and that he was pleased that I had got back to him. But I wasn't interested in that, so I simply didn't reply. He was lucky that I had called back at all, because I usually ignored all messages and calls that were not from my family or Cara. I never felt guilty about it, but I did yesterday with Lando. Was it because he was famous and I felt it rude not to answer a celebrity? Probably. I simply put it down to that. 

15.05.2021