✨T H I R T E E N✨

If my mother knew I had been in the stable since six o'clock, she would probably kill me. She hated it when I was in the stable so early but could never get up to have breakfast. But I didn't care about that for years. The mornings were the best in the stable, because there was no one there. You had the hall to yourself. Simply wonderful.

I was riding down from the yard when my music was interrupted by a phone call. Of course I took it. "Good morning Honey!" "Well Elly. Up so early?" "I don't know what that's about. But are you in Germany already?" "I'm on my way with Champ. I'll be over sometime this afternoon." "I'll be home. Tell me everything then, OK?" "I will." Then we said goodbye and I finished my round. When I arrived at the stable, I went straight to the dressage arena, where someone was already riding. "Good morning Sierra!", I wished the girl. I'd known her since she was a little girl, only we didn't keep in contact much, sadly. "Hailey! Long time no see!" She parried her white horse at me. "Been a long time since you've been around." I nodded in agreement. "I kind of missed the time, but I'm here now. Would you mind if we continued talking after we've done some work for our ponies?" "Not if we go riding together tomorrow," she said with a wink. Laughing, I agreed, after which Sierra trotted her mare again and went through more dressage lessons. I, on the other hand, took it a little slower, I hadn't been in the saddle for too long. But Dad always said that riding is like swimming. You never forget.

✧✧✧

A good hour later I sat next to Sierra on the white fence of the pasture and watched the horses. "How are you doing?" she asked with interest. "Great. I'm just a little confused." "Why? Did something happen?" "I don't know. Cara got a new job. Of course, this one has something to do with Formula One. I saw a race and... I liked it. I don't want to. Besides..." "Wait, let me guess... you fell in love?" I looked to her. Lightly, the wind played with Sierra's black, shoulder-length hair as she looked dreamily at the horses. "I wouldn't call it that, but there's already someone who's become damned to me in a few days. I miss him." "You actually want to say so much more, don't you?" Once again I bit my lower lip and nodded. "But you don't want to burden me any further. That's okay. But if you really miss him and you really care about him, then tell him that. I'd tell you to introduce him to me now, but I don't think I can do it yet." "It's okay. I really don't want to press you on this. But I promised Elly I'd come today, do you want to come?" "Nope, never mind. I have to get home and work. Besides, I see her more than you do and maybe she can help you." I nodded and slid off the fence, hugged Sierra again and then went into the house. I felt so sorry for Sierra. No woman or girl did I wish to go through what she had gone through.

I had killed the last few hours by helping my father in the stable. It felt good to go back to what I had been doing until I moved. Now I was in my dad's pick up, driving to Ellison. Not even seconds after I pressed the bell that said Ellison Parker, I was pulled into a stormy hug. "I missed you," the brunette murmured into the embrace. Awkwardly, I patted her back. She pulled me with her into the living room, where we also immediately sank down onto the sofa and Ellison began squeezing me as a matter of course. "You're amazing Elly, you know," I stopped her rambling with a laugh. "I know that," she replied snappishly. "I'll tell you everything if you don't interrupt me." She nodded excitedly. Sometimes she seemed like a toddler.

After I had confided everything to her, she was silent for a while. I knew that she was feverishly thinking about how she could get me together with Lando and I could get along with Cara again. She was still like a teenager trying to set someone up. Then nothing was too good for her. But she had a hard time finding someone herself. It was also hard when you don't allow feelings. In my own experience. "Hailey! Hand me your phone, please," she asked, coming rushing into the kitchen where I was standing, putting on some tea. "Um okay." I handed her my iPhone with a sceptical look. But I trusted her, which was why I just let her do it. She went back into the living room before I heard her talking to someone on the phone.Curious, I went to the door and listened. "Hello... No, Hailey's busy right now... I'll explain promptly why I'm calling, but first I have to go upstairs. I don't want Hailey to hear me and I'm one hundred percent sure she's eavesdropping right now..." And then all I heard was her taking the stairs upstairs. Offended, I gasped. She just knew me way too well.

✧✧✧

"It's settled with Lando. Your flight to Bristol leaves in two days." "And what do I want there?", I grumbled as Ellison reported this to me. "You'll see then." "Who were you on the phone to, anyway?" "I'm not telling you. Well actually I did, only you're kind of stupid." "You're just as bad as Cara." "But now we're both going shopping." "And why is that?" "Because I feel like it." I didn't object. Why should I? I was far too preoccupied with Friday.

Shopping became a heavy lift afterwards. I had discovered a Thalia that Elly and I had rushed into as if our lives depended on it. The sad truth was that we were book junkies. So instead of buying clothes, we were carrying what felt like tons of dead trees. "Is that what you mean by shopping?" "Not really, but I actually like it better." "Figures." I rolled my eyes, playfully annoyed.

That evening I lay in my bed and went through the call list. I wasn't surprised somehow at what I'd found out, but I was still a bit shocked. Elly had apparently spoken first to Cara and then to Lando. I closed my eyes briefly and took a deep breath. Now I knew who I would meet on Friday and it certainly wasn't Cara.

03.07.2021