Orc - Part 2

Contains: swearing, suggestive themes, drinking
— — —

We ended up arriving later than we initially recalculated. After enjoying a creampie from Val, I had to sort out my underwear situation. I needed to quickly mend them. After the dispute we had over them, I'd be damned if I went home and Caera caught me without them on. Hopefully she wouldn't notice that they were on the outside of my fishnets now—the spell took long enough, I wasn't going to waste the time to remove my tights to put them on right.

The wedding was held at an orchard just outside Arvos. The late spring day was perfect for the outdoor celebration. Valzok went off to help Citra as soon as we got there, leaving me to linger around on my own in a sea of strangers. Well, not everyone was a stranger. I recognized a few workers from The Laughing Grove and Val's shop. Still. I had no strong connections with anyone here.

Was the bar open? Were appetizers set out yet? I needed something to occupy myself until I could monopolize Val after the ceremony. My search was thwarted thanks to Willow. A number of guests came up to me to compliment and ask about my dress. I knew so little about couture; I made excuses to leave as soon as anyone started making idle chatter about fashion.

What was it specifically about weddings that made my skin crawl?

This was a joyous day filled with love and bonds, and all I wanted was an escape of some sort.

"Cherry Mule?" someone—an orc—asked as they held out a copper cup towards me. I hadn't noticed them approach.

I turned and looked at them, hesitating. Out of all the drinks to be randomly offered, it threw me that they picked my go-to cocktail. There was a creeping familiarity to them, too, as I stared blankly at them. Once I focused a little, it clicked. "Imdes?"

A familiar set of dimples framed her smile. "Glad you still remember me."

We exchanged more proper hellos then hugged, careful not to spill the drink I happily accepted afterwards. "What are you doing here? And you shaved your hair." Her lack of hair was partially why it took me a moment to recognize her. The darker green of her complexion had spread with the years and contoured her face differently, too. But there was no mistaking her deep brown eyes and the golden wedge in the left, inner corner.

"Old friend of Citra. And yeah." She rubbed a hand over her shaved head and shrugged. "Family bullshit. Anyway—I wasn't expecting to run into you here. Not complaining though."

When she smiled again I wanted to die. She was the crush that made me realize I had a major size kink. And I definitely still had a crush on her. Oh blessed Moon—did she know Val too? The world was small enough that we were both here; what were the chances that it was even smaller and she had a connection with my date?

"You here by yourself?" She asked.

I bought a moment by sipping my drink. The last time I had had a Cherry Mule was at her bar. "I'm actually a plus-one."

Why couldn't I say Val's name? Why couldn't I say I was his date? The way Imdes studied me wasn't making me feel any better.

And because the Universe was a comedian, Val showed up. He called out to me first. Then, when both Imdes and I turned towards him, he paused, smirked, and called to her too. Imdes quickly side eyed me as he approached.

"Been awhile, Vee," she greeted him.

"You know the family. I see you've met Witch."

"Actually, she used to be a regular at The Barrel."

Val gave me an impish look. I knew that these two would soon be swapping stories about me. Or perhaps they already had, but were just now connecting that the Witch of Valzok's present is the Sorcee from Imdes's past. My discomfort with weddings was suddenly paltry by comparison.

Thankfully, the ceremony was about to begin and Valzok was just making the rounds to tell everyone. Imdes hooked her arm through mine and began escorting me off. Looks like I wouldn't be escaping her company tonight. Before I found out she knew Val, I would've welcomed her familiar presence. Gods know the embarrassing shit I got up to back in my certification training days—things my favorite bartender heard of from my own drunken, loose lips. Hopefully none of that would come up tonight. Or ever.

I was stressing out so much I didn't even realize when the ceremony ended. Time was escaping me today. At least Imdes still played escort, knowingly or not compensating for my autopilot.

Oddly—for me—I couldn't stand to dance. I made an effort to dance with both Val and Imdes, but the motions were empty. I floated around the edge of the dance floor. Once the workers rearranged the ceremony area for dinner, I instantly claimed a table. Not that I was hungry. It just felt nicer to sit. Val soon joined me and set a bowl of mixed fruit topped with whipped cream and honey in front of me. Okay, maybe I was a bit hungry. I dug in.

Val watched me for a moment. Then he looked out towards everyone—mostly still on the dancefloor—and said, "Not to pressure you, but you'd get along with most people here, if you were worried."

"Well, that's one of the things getting to me," I mumbled with a mouthful of fruit.

"It really threw you that my cousin is here, huh?"

I choked on a slice of mango. "Imdes is your cousin?"

He shrugged. "Well sorta. Through marriage.  She's Azari's adopted cousin." I noticed him absently touch his chest where his necklace rested. My bowl of fruit lost its sweetness. How was he handling being at a wedding? My worry must've shown on my face because he shook his head and gave me a soft smile. "I'm fine, Witch. Really. Citra and El already worried over me enough before today. The only negative-type emotion I have is concern for you right now."

And here is where I'd confide in him about my discomfort around weddings, my unease from the past Imdes reminded me of, and my social anxiety with large groups of unfamiliar people—especially when I didn't have my work to focus on. If I could articulate those things into words, that is. "I'm managing," I tried to reassure him. "Today just ended up being more than I was expecting."

"Do you want to get out of here?"

"No. No, it's fine. It's nowhere near that bad."

"You sure?" he double checked. "I don't mind skipping out and enjoying an evening at home."

"It's fine," I stressed. I mustered up some bravado. "I look too good to go home so soon. Just let me go splash some water on my face, and get another drink, and I'll be good. Promise."

"If you change your mind—"

"Yes yes. I'll let you know." I stood up and gave him a quick kiss before retreating inside the event hall.