Multi-Monster Special

CAERA:
Where was Witch? She was supposed to be home two days ago. One day without word I could understand. There could have been a snowstorm halting the trains. Or maybe she met someone and wanted to stay a bit longer. But as the sun set for the second night without word... of course I was worried.

When we had started to grow friendly, she always talked to me. Always said when she'd be away from the house and for how long. I always knew what she was up to. That was why this felt so wrong.

The worst was there was no one I could contact for help.

I couldn't stray far from the house without losing large amounts of energy. After everyone helped to remove my tongue bar, Grove had brought over a special talisman that Witch charged frequently to give me more power. But even that had limits—especially since it had been almost a week since she recharged it last. All I could do was quietly wait until someone visited.

Brumal was almost here. Surely somebody would come seeking Witch for a last minute spell or charm. Right? Oh!—Valzok. He had a contract with her; he'd have to come by soon to deliver more firewood. Witch had postponed his deliveries while she went to the gala, but since she should be back by now, he'd have to come again. He had to. But when?

What would I do if she never returned?

No. I couldn't lose hope yet. Witch was smart. She was talented and resourceful and whatever was going on, I needed to have faith she'd work through it.

Voices rose outside. Curious, I peeked out the window. There were three cloaked figured, their backs towards the house. They were arguing with the hamadryad—the fae's deep, rich greens and browns stood stunningly against the snow. What were they saying?

I felt the ether quiver just before the hamadryad struck out against the others. A thick, twisted mass of vines erupted out of their backs, each with a feint red glow at the end. The light quickly faded and the three bodies melted into reddish puddles. Clay. They were pupatas. Had the vampires sent them? Whatever brought them here, the hamadryad wasn't having it—I hoped he made the right call with destroying them.

"Hamadryad," I called out before he could leave.

He looked over my way and approached the house. I opened the door for him. "Ghost," he greeted as he entered.

"I worry for Witch."

He nodded. "As you should it seems. I don't know the details, but it looks like she got into a mess with those vampires. They were looking for her."

I had so many questions to ask him, though I couldn't waste my energy like that. "Help her. Please." I knew they had a tense relationship, so it was a stretch to make such a request of him. But I had to try. I had to bet on him caring enough about her to keep her safe.

VÉRUS:
Witch missing was unsettling. Here I thought she was wise enough to not fall into trouble with those beasts. At least they were looking for her still and didn't have her in their grasp. Where could she have gone?

I wandered through the woods, heading south. Most of the forest fae were hibernating so there weren't many to inquire with; the ones still around had no information on Witch. I wasn't sure how to interpret that. Was she playing smart and not going where the vampires would look for her? Or was she unable to come home at all? I asked them to notify me if they came across her or other vampires—pupata or otherwise.

I happened upon a dead tree and stopped. I placed a hand on its rotting bark. Poor thing. It hadn't been tied to a fae, but it was still a chilling reminder of my possible future. For so long my tree—and thus my life—had been safeguarded in a parallel world no one could access. I had never held fear in... I lost count of the years.