Chapter 1

"Aleksander, is something wrong?" I asked when I caught him standing over the fountain at which he came in times of trouble.

    He looked over his shoulder at me. "Arabella,"

    I walked up beside him, leaning my arms against the stone. "You only come here when you're troubled. So, tell me, what's wrong?"

    He sighed softly, flipping a coin around between his fingers. "I'm just thinking of Baghra. She and I got into another fight."

"Yeesh. What did that old heap of bones want this time?"

He looked at me and chuckled, running a hand through his hair. "I swear, you and I are the only two people who are able to call her that and not get kicked out of Os Alta."

"Or get kicked out of all Ravka." I added with a smile, poking him in the arm.

    His eyes flickered down to my lips and back up to my eyes, taking a step forward.

    I stepped back slightly and he stood still, looking at me with curiosity. "Alek . . . we can't do this."

    He sighed but nodded. "I know, Ara. The Queen would not take lightly to this."

    "Yeah. She's a . . . handful. To say modestly."

    "Then why don't you leave her service?" He said, reaching his hand out and sliding his fingers through mine. "I could make you an Oprichniki if you'd like."

    I smiled a little. "I appreciate the offer, but I can't. The King and Queen would be furious. They don't want to risk you getting attached to me in case if I don't make it one day."

    He nodded again, rubbing a thumb over my knuckles. "They're a little too late on that one. But if you ever change your mind about the position, my offer stands."

    Hoofbeats could be heard in the distance and he dropped my hand, looking to the right as one of the Oprichnik rode in.

    "The Queen needs Miss Oretsev at the Grand Palace." The male guard said, glancing at me.

———

I ran into Genya in the dark halls only lit by the moonlight streaming through the windows, her beautiful red curls falling down her back as she gazed at me with her green eyes.

"Genya, are you taking a stroll around the halls as well?" I asked.

"Yes, Arabella . . . a walk."

I frowned slightly, taking her arm and guiding her to the windows as the silver light illuminated her face so I could see red blotchy eyes.

"Saints, what happened to you?" I asked with concern.

She shook her head. "It's fine, Arabella. I can clean this up quickly. You won't see the difference."

"That's not the point. What happened to you?" I said, "Come on. Friends tell each other things."

She looked around the halls and back to me, sighing and rubbing her arms. "I heard Zoya and some of the other Summoners talking about me. Normally, I could take their insults. But . . . I just couldn't tonight."

I pulled her into a gentle hug, rubbing her back as she wept softly into my nightgown. "I am so sorry, Genya. If anything like that happens again, you can always come to me. My door is always open."

She sniffed and looked at me with a grateful smile. "Thank you, Arabella. I'm so glad to have a friend like you."

I nodded, pushing a curl back over her shoulder. "You always will. Do you want me to walk you back to your rooms?"

She shook her head. "No, it's fine. Thank you."

"Okay. Sleep well. I'll see you tomorrow." I hugged her once more before walking down the dark hallways and heading into my own rooms.

    "Hi, lapushka."

I jumped slightly and clutched at my heart when Aleksander switched on a lamplight, standing up from the chair.

"Saints! You scared me." I said.

He chuckled softly, resting his hands on the side of my neck. "It's just me. No need to be scared."

"It's not you I'm scared of. I'm scared of the cameras. They're watching us. Even now."

He smirked. "I can help with that."

"Aleksander, no." I said.

Shadows engulfed the whole room and he laughed at my surprised face, bringing his lips down onto mine; the shadows were sucked back into him and he pulled back with a smile, brushing my hair back.

    "That was risky." I said after a while.

    "You loved it."

    I smiled. "I did,"

    "So . . . want to risk it again?" He asked.

    "I think that's enough taking risks tonight. Don't you think?"

    "I suppose. I should probably be heading back to the Little Palace and see on Miss Starkov."

    "Oh. Is she . . . doing well with her training?" I asked, failing to mask my jealousy.

    A small smile grew on his face. "Is that a hint of jealousy I detect, Arabella?"

    "Whatever do you mean?"

    He chuckled. "Don't worry. She's only training with me to harness her abilities. I should head back."

    "Okay. Goodnight, Aleksander."

    He brought my hand up to his lips and brushed his lips against my knuckles. "Sleep well, Arabella."

I just finished binging the entire Shadow and Bone tv show on Netflix and I am so into it. Anyways, tell me what you thought of this. Comment and vote!