Chapter 17

Aleksander looked at me for a long second, processing if this was real or not, then pulled me behind him and sent the Cut at an incoming Volcra, slicing it in half long-ways.

"Didn't miss that." I muttered.

"Shut up." He replied gruffly, turning back to me and grabbing my arm, dragging me into the safety of the wrecked ship, closing the door and lighting a blue lantern before hanging it on a peg.

"What are you doing here?" He asked, looking at me with a hard gaze.

"I don't know. Maybe you should have thought about that before dragging me here by creepily whispering my name." I replied, crossing my arms.

He looked stunned, then laughed darkly and shook his head. "I didn't think it would work."

"What? What did you do to me? Why am I here, Aleksander?!" I shouted, my frustration rising.

"Shh," he put a hand over my mouth to shut me up, making me glare at him as he stayed silent, the screeching of the Volcra fading away.

I pushed his hand away. "Maybe I should throw you out of here and let the Volcra eat you. That's be a very entertaining show."

He looked at me with an unamused face. "I don't think you will."

"And what's stopping me from doing just that?" I asked.

He stepped forward, so close that I had to crane my head back to look at him.

"Yourself." He said, "And there's also the tiny fact that if I die when we're in this state, you're stuck here. In the Fold. Forever.

    ". . . so you control when I come and go? Is that how this is going to work?"

    He smirked. "Quite so. Today was just the introduction. And, I have gotten quite fed up with you. I will call on you if I need company."

    "Don't you dare."

    "Oh, but like you said, darling, I control your coming and goings." He replied and flicked his wrist.

The Fold evaporated and I was back in the dark kitchen, like no time has passed.

I shook my head and grabbed my coffee, heading back upstairs and sitting back in the chair in Kaz's room, thinking about what just happened as I sipped my drink in silence.

A soft rustling of bedsheets jerked me out of my thoughts.

"What're you thinking about, Bella?" Kaz asked, his voice deeper from tiredness.

I looked at him and forced a smile, taking his hand. "Nothing. I'm fine. Just get some sleep."

He looked at me for a minute longer, then nodded. "If you're sure. Get some sleep too, okay?"

I nodded in response.

———

I sat at the table at the Crow Club, staring at the wall in thought and picking at my nails.

"Okay, something's wrong." Nina slid into a chair next to me, looking at me.

"What do you mean?" I asked, looking at her.

"Your eyes sort of glaze over. So, do you want to talk about it?" She asked, placing a hand over mine.

I shrugged. "I don't think anyone would understand, Nina."