Chapter 21

"Arabella, I need to show you something." Matthias said, bursting into my room around 7 PM and startling me.

    "Matthias! Are you trying to give me a heart attack?" I asked.

    "No. Sorry about that. But I need to show you something. It's very important."

    "Okay . . .? Let's go then." I walked out with him and he led me down the stairs, where Jesper stood.

    "Hey, Jes." I greeted.

    "Hey, Arabella." He smiled and went around me, covering my eyes with his hands. "Trust me on this. You'll want to go in blind."

    ". . . just don't let me run into any walls." I said.

    "Never," he laughed, moving along with us as we turned left around the corner: putting us at either the study or near the front entrance.

"No peeking, Oretsev." Jesper said.

"We're back on last name basis? Okay, Fahey." I replied.

"Okay. Open," Jesper took his hands away from my eyes and I saw a flowered arch of red and white roses hanging from a white archway; a slew of rose petals covering the floor and Kaz pacing the floor in a nice suit with his hair neatly combed back and styled perfectly.

He looked up and smiled when he saw me standing there. "Bella. Hi,"

"Hey, Kaz . . . what's all this?" I asked, looking around the room filled with fairy lights. "It looks like a fairytale in here. Why?"

"Maybe"—he took my hand and led me underneath the archway of flowers—"because I'm hoping this will be your fairytale."

"That was cheesy, but go on." I said with a little giggle.

"Arabella Oretsev," he reached into his suit pocket and pulled out a black box, opening it and showing a silver ring with an once an blue gemstone gleaming atop it. "Will you marry me?"

———

I leaned back in Kaz's arms as we watched the fire crackle in the fireplace, our friends scattered all around us and talking giddily about the proposal.

"I'm glad you said yes to the simple version. Otherwise I would have had to go with the second one. Which I am not very fond of." Kaz said.

"Yeah?" I leaned my head back to look up at him. "What's the second one?"

He chuckled. "Oretsev doesn't suit you. Brekker would be a much better fit."

I smiled and giggled little. "Oh. Wow. Yeah, I'm glad I said yes to the first one also."

"I don't know. I think the second one was kind of cute." Inej said to us with a smile.

"Well, when you find a man, I'll be sure to have him take that into consideration." Kaz responded.

"Thanks, Kaz." She smiled.

"Can I be your bridesmaid?" Nina asked with a drowsy smile, leaning against Matthias as she tried to stay awake.

"Most definitely, Nin." I replied.

"Yay," she said and let out a huge yawn.

"Matthias, I think it's time she get some sleep." Kaz said, looking around at an equally tired Jesper and Inej. "In fact, I think we all should get some sleep."

"Good idea. Goodnight, bud. Congrats again." Jesper yawned and walked upstairs with a half-awake Inej leaning against him.

Matthias and Nina didn't even bother to go upstairs. He just laid back on the couch and drew Nina up to his chest, wrapping his arms around to securely and falling asleep soon after.

"They're cute." I stated softly.

"Yeah. They really are." Kaz agreed.

I looked at the Fjerdan and the Heartrender, then remembered what Kaz had said just hours before while we were under the arch.

    "It was,"

    He looked at me in confusion. "What was?"

    "My fairytale. And you're my prince." I looked back at him and smiled, cupping the side of his face with my hand, tracing his sharp jawline with a thumb.

    He smiled and placed a light kiss on my lip. "I love you, Arabella."

    "And I love you, Kaz."

    "Aw, isn't that just adorable?" a cold voice mocked.

    I looked around and saw I wasn't in the comfort of Kaz's arms, but in the dark and cold heart of the Fold; the Darkling looking at me with his obsidian eyes.

    "Send me back. Send me back, now." I said, my voice commanding and strong.

    He chuckled darkly. "I don't think so, my darling."

    "Don't call me that." I snapped.

    "And who's going to stop me? I'm the most powerful being in all Ravka." He stood up and walked over to me, snatching my hand and looking at the ring.

    "What a beautiful ring. I must say my congratulations towards you and Mr. Brekker." The Darkling said, releasing my hand.

    ". . . thanks. Now let me go." I said louder.

    He rubbed his chin thoughtfully, then a sinister smile crossed his face. "Let me come to the wedding, and I will release you."

    "No."

    He shrugged and turned his back on me, walking away. "Then you're stuck here."

    "You're lying."

    He turned back around, that creepy smile still on his face. "Am I? And what makes you think I would want you to go back to your fiancé? When I have you all to myself."

I gnawed on the inside of my cheek, trying to figure out his bluff, then realized . . . he was right. He wasn't happy that I was marrying another man. He wanted me to himself.

Typical.

"Wait," I stopped him.

He walked back over in a few strides, coming so close to me that I had to crane my neck upward to look at him.

". . . you can come." I whispered, a tear sliding down my face.

The Darkling's gaze suddenly softened and gently placed his hand on my cheek, brushing away the tear.

"Don't cry, Arabella. You're getting married." He said, a small smile flickering across his face and he brushed his lips against my forehead softly before the Fold vanished before my eyes.

I have decided to have a question of the day for all you readers here! So, here's today:

Question of the day: Who do you ship with Arabella?

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter! Stay tuned! And don't forget to vote and comment.