Chapter 29

The next morning was Quiet. Surprisingly Hiccup got up at his usual time but fell under his silent depression. I've tried my best to keep out of his way. He went out for a walk, alone at around maybe 8:00. It's 9:00 now and he's not back. So my guess is, he's lost.

The baby woke up when he left. Which was odd. I was in the kitchen when the Front door opened and Hiccup returned. He looked up at me then smiled faintly. "Hey.." He said silently.

"Hey." He closed the door then slowly came into the kitchen. He didn't look well. "How're you doing?" I ask.

He only shrugged his shoulders. "I'll live." He muttered.

I look at him. "... Hiccup..."

He looked up. "I'll be fine, Elsa."

At that moment, Kim came in. She looked at Hiccup. "You look tired." She replied.

"I'm fine."

"You should eat something." She told him pushing a plate to him.

"I'm not hungry." He said looking away.

"You haven't eaten anything, since yesterday," Kim told him. "... Morning!"

"I'm not hungry." He replied.

I look away for a moment "Hey," I say getting his attention.

He turned to me, looking up. "Yeah?"

"I'm going down to the restaurant today to say 'Hi' to the other employees," I say. "And they want to meet the baby, wanna Come?" I ask. Before he could answer, I cut him off again. "You don't have to come if you don't want too," I say. 

"No," he said. "I'll come," he said.

I tilt my head. "You sure?" I ask.

"Yeah." He said. "I'm sure." I smile. He smiled a little. He hasn't smiled a lot, but he has his reasons. "When are we leaving?" He asked quietly.

"Soon, I just want to change the baby," I answer him.

He nodded slowly. "Okay," he muttered before grabbing his water, then left.

LATER

We walk into the restaurant. It was a little busy. I look around slowly. Hiccup was behind me with Asher in his arms. Asher seemed to be distracting him. Which was good. "Elsa!" I turn to see Liv come to me. Liv is my age, who started working here a few weeks after me. She hugged me then looked at me. "You look good.." she replied.

"As do you," I say.

"How have you been?" She asked.

"Good... I mean, there have been some hard times..." I start glancing at Hiccup. "But I rather not bring them up right now." She nodded a little. I turn back to Hiccup, who had his focus on the baby. "Hiccup?" I call him.

He looked up then walked to me. He handed me the baby then backed up again. Sometimes it's hard to tell if he's okay or not. He's been hiding his pain since last night. But other times it is really obvious. Like now. I handed the Baby to Liv. "Oh. He's so cute." She cooed.

I smile. She looked up to Hiccup, then back to the baby. "He really does look like Hiccup." She said. I smile again. Hiccup wasn't paying attention anymore. He had his gaze locked on something. I couldn't tell what. Liv then gently nudged me handing the baby back.

"Is he okay?" She asked.

I shake my head but reply to the opposite. "Yeah. He's fine."

"You shook your head but said yes..." she started. "Is he or not?"

I sigh looking back. "No. He's not." I say.

She looked at me. "Oh... What's happening now?"

"I don't want to bring it up in front of him," I say.

She nodded. "Okay. I understand." I hear Hiccup cough in behind. That cough didn't sound good. Great. Now his condition is falling too. "You wanna talk about it?" Liv asked. "We can invite Anna?"

I turn to Hiccup, throwing a packet of Sugar at him to get his attention. "Do you mind?" I ask.

"Do I mind what?" He asked.

"If I stay out for a while?"

He smiled a little. "Since when have I been in control of what you do?" He asked. I shrug. He laughed a little. "I don't care. You can do whatever you want." He replied.

"Okay," I answer. "I'll keep the baby!" I say. "Give you a break."

"Okay." He sighed. "I'll be at home then." He replied before leaving.

"I can see what you mean.," Liv said.

I turn to her. "What?"

"He has the pain in his eyes. I can see it, as clear as day." She said. " sigh. "He's lost someone important. Hasn't he?" She asked. I sigh again. Sadly, she's right.