The Name of the Game

-Russell

February 1st, 2015

Super Bowl Sunday

Mistakes, interceptions, ups and down. Too many mishaps occurred on the Seahawks clock. I can't let this slip through my fingers. We have to seal this game. We can do it. In the 4th quarter, I try and make play after play, not really successful. Last try, I go deep and just like so many other times Jermaine Kearse is there. What looks like should not have been a catch, was a catch thanks to number 15. I couldn't believe, once again we had another chance.

Two yard line, one touchdown seals our title as world champions. I follow through on the play to laser one right to Ricardo Lockette. My breath is taken away. This feels much worse than being drilled by a 300 pound lineman. Picked off by Malcolm Butler.  So many thoughts ran through my head. Why not let Marshawn run the ball? We just lost the title because of a bad call, a call that I followed through on. I'm speechless.

Leaving the field, my mind is so busy that I cannot really hear my own thoughts. I head back to the locker room to recuperate. The atmosphere feels empty. Despite, teammates coming up to me, shaking my hand and telling me good job, I still feel like pure crap. The last thing I want to do is speak with the media. Two guys come to escort me to speak with the reporters. I do not want to explain how I lead my team into a loss. We could have been champions 2 years in a row. Do you know what that would have meant? I can imagine my dad jumping and shouting in Heaven. But I guess that's just the name of the game.

"Next time, Dad. I won't mess up next time." I said barely audible. Afterwards, it's as if I felt my dad's presence comforting me immediately.

-Leah

February 2nd, 2015

Last night, I made it off of my flight in time to catch the game. I witness the Hawks have their ups and downs. Unfortunately, I wish the game could have ended with different results. I knew how much this meant to the guys. They had worked really hard and played really well all season. I know they are a very resilient team. The same title would be waiting on them next year.

I couldn't help but think about Russ.  I know he is a usual chipper person, but I felt like he would be taken this loss hard only because they were so close to winning and one mistake prevented that. I just hoped he was ok as I continued unpacking my suitcases from California. I think I may have done a little too much shopping, but Cali had some stores that I never had access to here in Seattle. My cell began to ring and I looked down at my screen revealing Harry's face.

"Hey Harry" I said in a warm but curious tone.

"Hello, Leah. I've got mom and Anna on speaker with me."

"Hey Ladies! "I said loud so they could hear me.

"How have you been?" Harry asked me.

"I have been good, I actually just got in from Cali last night."

"Wow who did you go with?" Anna asked.

"Just me, myself and I."

"Hope you had a good time. I know you're probably wondering why we're calling, right? So let's get to it. Last night we were at the game, which we wish we had seen you at, but we spoke with Russell shortly after for a few brief moments. He just did not look well at all."

"Aww, I know. I feel horrible." I said to Harry.

"We feel horrible too, darling. We wish we didn't have to leave so soon." Momma Wilson said.

"So I wanted to ask you if you could just check on Russ and help bring him back to life. We just really hate for him to be down. He works so hard and I can tell he wanted to cry last night." Harry expressed. "When's the last time you saw him?"