Meet the Wilsons'

-Russell-

I never would have thought this day would come so fast; the day that I would introduce another woman to my family. I truly believed that I was moving too fast, but I felt that it was something I could not control. Leah was a woman who possessed all of the qualities that I loved: a genuine heart, determination, gentleness and beauty beyond this world. I found myself trying to disconnect with her but it just would not happen. It's so funny because I used to say "I need time to heal. I don't want to enter a relationship" but it's funny how God pushed me right into both of those things.

I believe it is not by choice I met Leah. She does something for me that no one else has done. I just pray my family sees the same things in her that I see. I'm pretty sure that they would be on the fence about me being in another relationship so soon, but this thing called life has a funny way of unfolding events.

My phone rang with a text message. It was from Leah telling me she had arrived at century link. My family and I were already settled in the Player's Suite , My mom, Harry and Anna were sitting laughing and eating some of the finger foods prepared for the players and their families.

"Russ, what's got you smiling so hard?" My brother Harry asked me.

"Well, you're about to find out. I'll be right back!" I told them that they'd be meeting Leah, but they didn't know it would be today.

I jogged down to the private security entrance I had Leah come to because I knew there wouldn't be much traffic around there, giving me some privacy. As I approached the gate, Leah was being interrogated by one of our larger than life security guards. Shoot I forgot to give her the pass she needed to enter in.

"Hey, what's up Big Phil. She is with me, I forgot to give her a pass" I said reaching my hand out for Leah. Big Phil hesitantly pulled open the gate letting her through.

"At least I know you're the best at what you do" I teased, patting him on the shoulder.

I turned to look at Leah who was stunning, wearing a number 3 Seahawks jersey, jeans with seafoam green, dark blue and grey Nike's and a Seahawks baseball cap. She had on makeup but I always thought she did not need any of it.  I loved how she was so openly supportive of me as her man, and not afraid to show it, unlike my last relationship.

"Leah, you look gorgeous. Thank you so much for coming." I said hugging her for what seemed like an eternity.

"Russ, you know I wouldn't miss this for the world. I'm nervous about meeting your family though. What will you do if they don't fancy me?" I could tell she was very nervous because her hand was shivering against mine.

"'You're going to be alright" I said lifting her hand to kiss it while she still held mine. It was so cute how she was so anxious to meet my family. She might have to break the ice, but I knew they would grow to love her. They are just weary of anyone trying to get close to me like any overprotective family would be.

We stepped off the elevator and stood before the door to the players' suite. "You ready?" I asked Leah.

"Russ, you're not helping" she said placing her face in her hands.

"Ok, ok, I'm sorry" I said letting a laugh slip. "Don't over think it just talk to them and be the genuine person you are" I added placing a quick peck on her check. I opened the door and led her to my family.

"Mom, Harry, Anna. This is the lovely lady that I've been wanting you to meet." All three of them lifted their heads up simultaneously in such a uniform way that it made me nervous and this is my own family. Poor Leah.

"This is Leah. Leah this is my mom, my sister, Anna, and my brother, Harry." Harry was the first one to stand and greet Leah.

"Hello, Leah. It's a pleasure to finally meet you." Harry said as he hugged her. In the midst of the hug, Harry winked at me and gave me the "ok" signal with his hand. I had to hold back my laugh. I didn't want to agitate Leah.

It took my mom and Anna a while to get up to greet Leah, but they finally did when I gave them this piercing look.

"Nice to meet you, Leah" Anna said extending her hand.

"Yes it's a pleasure. So Leah, tell me what is it about Russell that you like?Are you the type of woman who is easily moved by status and materialistic things?"

"Mom, come on that is so wrong." I said trying to get her to ease up on Leah.

"No, Russ it is ok. If I had a son I would want to be sure that the women around him had good intentions. And to answer your question Mrs. Wilson, I really love his heart; I believe it's made of gold. You can't say that about many people nowadays." Leah answered like the noble woman that she is.

It took my mom a few seconds to retort, because she knew right away that Leah was a woman of substance.

"Just promise me that you will always respect my brother. He deserves the best." Anna chimed in.

"Anna, I promise you that, I'll uphold him always. Like the King he is." I was so freaking proud of Leah! Not only did she amaze my family who barely had any words to say, but she amazed me yet again. What did I do to find someone so loving, with such a beautiful spirit? I don't know but I am truly thankful.

"Ok, Russ we like her." My Mom said, causing Leah to smile and clap her hands excitedly. When she noticed my family was staring at her she stopped and looked like a deer in headlights, which caused us to ignite in laughter. I could tell this was the beginning of many great things.

I excused myself to head down to the locker rooms and be with the team. We had exactly one hour before the game started.

-Leah-

I had to take a moment and exhale. Meeting with Russell's family turned out better than I expected. They may have drilled me a little bit, but they warmed up to me quickly. I went to the restroom to take a few deep breaths. After exiting the stall to wash my hands, I noticed a blonde-haired lady standing at about 5'6 washing her hands as well and staring at me in the mirror I quickly turned my neck to look her, but she broke her gaze very quickly and mumbled something under her breath. I wonder what that was about. Women can be so weird to other women at times.

I returned to the suite where Anna and Russell's mom were engaged in conversation with another family but Harry was alone.

"Hey, Harry" I spoke quietly.

"Leah!" Harry said placing his arm around me in a friendly manner. He was so inviting and easy going.

"You know, I'm so glad Russ met someone that fits him. All of us thought it happened fast but I think you're a great fit for him. You will balance him out really well."

"You know you're not the first person who said I balance him out."

"It's because it's true. He's always going, his mind goes a mile a minute, he can be so detailed and future minded that he doesn't really enjoy the present moment. We all wish we could spend more time with, but being that we live in Richmond that is hard. But Leah, I need you to take care of my brother." I shook my head.

"He is strong but fragile at the same time and all he wants is someone to accept him and love him genuinely. Be patient with him, his tactics can be overbearing but he needs someone like you."

"Aw, thanks so much Harry. It's my pleasure to be there for him. Not only would I hate to let Russell down, but I would hate to let you all down."

I really enjoyed talking more with the family. The more we spoke, the more we connected. They were a very close knit family who cared for one another and who wanted the best for each other.  The night came to an exciting end as the Seahawks went on to win their first game of the season. I couldn't wait to speak with Russell and congratulate him. I'm so excited about the future.

As we exited the players' suite back down to the private parking area, I noticed the same lady with blonde hair staring at me intently as I walked through the tunnel. What are the odds that we would run into each other twice out of all the people here?

"Do you know her from somewhere?" Anna asked, as she noticed the lady staring at me as well.

"No, I don't think so. It's funny because she did the same thing when I saw her earlier today." I said with my eyebrows furrowed. Oh well, maybe she is not having a good night. I went to my car and the Wilson's went back to their hotel. We exchanged hugs and wished each other a goodnight, leaving Russell because we knew it would be a long night for him at C-Link with all the media obligations; I was so excited to see him later.