Even Champions Need to Break Free

Weeks and months had passed. A lot has transpired since the season ended. Seahawks won the super bowl.  I'm thankful for my team. That's what happens when a group of people believe they can do something.

My relationship with Ashton came to an end. Me being the man of discipline and longevity that I am, I honestly wanted to work on that relationship as long as I could. It never was my goal to have a failed marriage. I kept my thoughts, emotions and all details out of the media. I needed time to heal and it's almost impossible to do that in the limelight. Throughout my college career and even up to now, I have always had a hard time trusting people. I never thought Ashton would be unfaithful. My confidence in women was shattered. It would take God specifically sending another woman for me to even think of entering another relationship at the time.

Something that I love to do and am so passionate about is visiting children at the Seattle Children's Hospital. Every day I was able to speak with and encourage the children. I also got to meet new people just about every day. I normally take my visits with one of the head nurses.

"Russell, since it's the offseason, I have a project that I think you would love to be a part of." Nurse Sanders stated.

"Alright", I blinked and nodded signaling for her to continue.

"First I need you to meet someone who you would be working closely with", she stated while leading me into someone's office after knocking on the door.

After she knocked, a familiar woman with beautiful medium-caramel skin turned around. Looked like she was filing documents or something. It's been a while since I've looked at a woman like that. I couldn't help but notice her curves that her skirt and blazer were struggling to hide. I sort of snapped out of when I noticed Nurse Sander tap me and the woman started to walk towards me.

'"Russell? Hello? I said this is Leah. She is a newly hired public affairs/interior design team member", Nurse Sanders said trying to hold back a laugh.

"Yes, nice to meet you Leah", I said clearing my throat, putting on a friendly smile.

"Anyways, Leah is an interior designer. We have a new project on our hands and we want to build the kids a new lounge area that they can come and play or relax in. I thought this would be something you might be interested in."

Honestly, I was not much of a decorator, but I'm willing to do something to benefit the kids. Plus, I'm just glad to meet Leah.

"Alright well, I will let you two talk and get familiarized. Thanks again for visiting here and talking with the children Russell. We all appreciate you."

"Ah, you know its no problem." I said waving bye to Nurse Sanders.

"Leah, have we met before?" I said breaking the ice.

"Mmm, I know you. But I can't say you know me" she said nervously laughing.

"Why are you acting so..." I started.

"So nervous? Forgive me; it's just not every day that I have Russell Wilson standing in my office"

"Please, I'm just a person." I had a way of trying to make everyone feel comfortable and at peace.

Leah

My aunt did not warn me I'd have, super fine, super bowl quarterback, Russell Wilson swing by my office.  Nurse Sanders is my aunt. She has always been so supportive of me. I'm a recent college graduate and I do not have the greatest relationship with my family. I was the "child who deviated from my parent's wishes". Both my mother and father were doctors. My brother and sister, Vance and Chanel, went on to become doctors. It was just common sense that I would do the same,but not so much.

I really let my parents down when I revealed to them that I simply like to decorate. I went to school for interior design. They in no way assisted me with tuition, so I pulled two jobs throughout my college career, until I started taking paid interior design internships and my aunt hooked me up with this job.

"Please, I'm just a person." Russell said trying to make me feel at ease. It was cute how he did that. I'm normally laid back around people, especially men, but he had this cool presence about him that made me feel like we had met before.

After about fifteen minutes of chatter and telling him about the project, he blurted "I got it!"

"You have what?" I said about to laugh.

"I've seen you before, Leah." My thoughts flew to where he could have seen me. I hope I was looking good that day.

"It was at The Juicy Café. You were like the only person there when I came in. "Russell said. He had me puzzled. I had to think back on the last time I was there. That was like two months ago.

"Wow, Russell your memory is out of this world. That was like two months ago", I said looking shocked that he remembered me.

"Well it is not too hard to forget a pretty face." He said smiling. I can tell he would get me in trouble in the long run. A good kind of trouble though.

"Oh so is that how you get all of the ladies?" I said teasingly.

"Not quite" He said opening my office door extending his hand for me to exit first. I'd say this was a great first day on the job.