Chapter 9

Liz's POV:

I pulled Andrew into the kitchen and grabbed the house phone.

"Please tell me you have his number." I said to Andrew. He nodded and fished a paper out of his pants pocket. I grabbed the paper and dialled the number. It rang a few times, then he picked up.

{phone call started}
M- Hello?

L- Hello, is this Marcus Kepler?

M- Yes it is, how can I help you?

L- My name is Liz Hemmings and I'm calling about your daughter Rebecca.

M- Oh my, you know where she is?

L- Yes, she's staying with me right now while her mom is in Vienna. You didn't know where she was?

M- I've tried so hard to find my daughter. Her mother changed all phone numbers, addresses and even switched Rebecca to a different school.

L- Becky is so distraught right now, she was under the impression that you died at war. I'm fine with her staying here until her mom gets back, but I think she needs you.

M- Whatever you do, don't allow contact between her and her mother. Can I come see her tomorrow?

L- Of course, you are more than welcome to see her. You can pick her up from school if you like. She usually walks here afterwards.

M- Yes, I'll do that. How long has her mother planned on her staying?

L- As far as I know, another 3 months.

M- I'll take her out of your hands soon. I hope she hasn't been a bother. My girl had a way of getting things when she was younger.

L- She's been absolutely amazing. Do you want me to let her know that you'll pick her up?

M- No, I'll surprise her. Thank you so so much for calling Liz. Have a goodnight.

L- Anytime. Goodbye.
{phone call ended}

I placed the phone on the kitchen counter and sighed, "That poor girl, she had no idea."

"I mean, if I'm thinking correctly... Isn't that illegal? Each parent has the right to their child unless appointed by the court. Cindy has gotten herself in some trouble." Andrew shook his head and stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"At this point Andrew, I'm not concerned about Cindy. That woman could disappear off the face of the earth and I wouldn't give a shit. Becky has been lied to for at least half of her life. She was told her dad was dead, at war! It's the worst thing possible to tell your child. And now she's at stake because everything in her grade is about self-image. I can't bear to see her end up with problems like that." I pulled Andrew into a hug as I teared up. Becky doesn't deserve this.

The Next Day~~

Becky's POV:

I sat patiently on the floor while Liz french-braided my hair in the living room. I stared silently at the blank TV screen and sighed.

"I'll drive you to school today ok?" Liz said to me.

"Okay." I agreed and closed my eyes. I am so tired, I barely slept at all last night. All I could think about was my dad, and my mom, and my life. It all seems like a big game of Never Have I Ever. For instance, never have I ever been told the truth. And now that I realize what has happened, it's the most mentally and physically hurtful thing ever. My heart aches for the life I always wanted, with loving parents and a stable home.

"Alright, grab your stuff and we'll leave." Liz patted my shoulder and walked towards the kitchen to grab her keys and purse. I ran a hand over my braid as I walked towards my room to grab my bag. I picked up my bag and slung it over my shoulder. I shut off the light as I left the room and trailed down the hallway. This is going to be such a long day.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~

I waved goodbye to Anna as she climbed into her mom's SUV. I looked around for Liz's car but it was no where in sight. I turned around and walked towards the front steps, then sat down on the warm cement. I sat there for a while before someone tapped my shoulder.

"Rebecca, can you come to the office for a moment?" Mrs. Oaken stood before me and smiled. I returned the smile and stood up.

"Of course." I replied and followed Mrs. Oaken inside the school doors. It was a short walk to the office, only about 15 feet from the front doors. Mrs Oaken held open the door and I thanked her. I immediately burst into tears and threw my bag to the ground.

"Daddy." I ran over to my dad who sat in his wheelchair, smiling at me. I wrapped my arms around him and he held my tight.

"I missed you so much Becca. I promise that I'll never leave you again." Dad rubbed my back as I cried.

"I'm never letting go of you again. It's been torture." I said quietly through the tears.

"I know Becca, I know." Dad rubbed the back of my neck with one hand, the other hugging me tightly.