Adrenalina

Two Days Later

Ximena's POV

"Mena, don't do this...please...." I held back my tears as I hugged Piper good-bye. The young girl was still trying to get me to change my mind. Right in this moment, I could say that I felt protective over her. She was such a vivacious teenager, and while I wished that she was a HELLA lot older, Aleks was a good match for her. Thankfully, I had gotten my best friend back as well. We barely left each other's side, and he was aiding me in preparing for my demise. I had been prepared for death, but it had never occurred to me to bring anything with me. He had given me guns and knives to try to protect myself in the case where I may survive. I tried to assure him that it wasn't happening, but a low growl from his mate stopped me. 

"Pipes, I've got to go. Watch out for my Pack for me..." I kissed her forehead and whispered, "Viva tu vida." She finally let go of me and ran back into the house. I shivered slightly due to the intense cold around us. Aleks walked up to me and hugged my body close to his. The warmth enveloped me as I snuggled closer to him. 

"Ximena, just promise me that you won't stop fighting. It doesn't matter what the outcome is. What matters is that you stand strong. That's who you are." I nodded softly, and reluctantly, pulled away from him. "I'll try to help Lorcan." A small tear left my eyes as I remembered my missing half. During the past two days, the searing separation pain dulled to a low burn inside, but I knew that I was far from alright. Just thinking of him brought the guilt back. 

"Aleks, remember what you promised me?" He nodded and held my hand. 

"I'll try to find them; Declan's already searching for Renee's location." I groaned at him. 

"You knew what I meant..." His grey eyes darkened softly at my request, and I could feel the annoyance seeping away from him. 

"I can't promise that, Mena." 

"Aleks, you have already done it." In anger, he growled, 

"I'm going to have to tell him sometime! He deserves that-" I hissed back, 

"HE NEEDS TO MOVE ON!" My voice echoed in the cold dark night, and I continued. "He needs...to find someone else." Saying this speared me with jealousy and anger, but it needed to happen. "Have him be with Alexia. It'll be fine." My friend tried to reply, but I shut him up. "Aleks, I'm saying this as your Luna. Promise me." He stiffened, and I could see him trying to fight against the command. "Aleks?"

"Fine!" We stood there in the cold, and I couldn't help but remember the last time we were together like this. We had been running to his pack, and I thought that I would be living as his mate. Now, we are separating to protect each other's mates. I sniffled softly, and whispered, 

"Good bye, Aleks." Then I turned and ran towards the woods. Right in that moment, I could only think about the good times I spent with my love. Every touch, kiss, and hug. I tried to imagine what I would be doing with Lorcan right now if I hadn't hurt him. We'd probably be in our room, talking about our future. Maybe even making love. I had dreamed of meeting the one person I can call my equal, and loving him with soul. For once, children popped in my mind, and I realized that we might have been parents. A little girl with startling green eyes and his commanding stance or a little boy with chocolate brown eyes with my tenacity. The possibilities were endless. I contemplated mind-linking my mate to apologize and to come back, but the fear of my uncle brought me back to my plan. My death. 

Aleks's POV

I watched as my best friend ran into the night, leaving me behind. I had planned to tell the Alpha what was going on, but now, the Alpha command forced to keep it a secret. Dammit.