Show and Tell

Bethany angst (sorry not sorry >:D)

Bethany’s POV

   Gripping my backpack straps, I faced the two-story school building once again. Today was Friday, which meant we were having Show and Tell. I had carefully placed a laptop and speaker in my backpack before I left the house, planning on playing a song I helped Sean make for my class. I wasn’t sure if I should show the song at first, but Sean convinced me it was a great idea.

>><<

   “Are you sure they’re gonna like it? I don’t think they like this kind of music-”
   “It doesn’t matter if they like it or not, if it’s special to you, then they should respect that.”
   “Okay...”
   “Trust me, I think your classmates will find this really impressive.”
   “Do you find it impressive?”
   “Duh. This is better than some of my songs even.”
   “Really?”
   “Yeah, some of my older songs sound like complete trash.”
   “Hey, don’t say that!”

>><<

   Smiling over the memory, I started off in the direction of the front entrance, a skip in my step, my pigtails bouncing. Glancing behind me, I saw Hailey and Zander walking towards their school, which was only a few streets away. Turning back to my school, I saw my teacher keeping the door open for the students coming in. Running up to her, I smiled widely.

   “Hi Mrs. Kes!” I greeted, bouncing on my toes.

   Mrs. Kes smiled, leaning down to pat my head. “Hi, Bethany. Are you excited for Show and Tell?”

   “Mhm!” I exclaimed. “I actually brought two things, but they go together. Is that okay?”

   Mrs. Kes nodded, then gestured to my bulging backpack. “Are they in there?”

   I nodded, and she grinned. “Well, don’t spoil the surprise for me. Go on in, and wait in the classroom for school to start.”

   Still smiling widely, I made my way through the hallways, finding Mrs. Kes’s classroom easily. I walked over to my seat, slipping my heavy backpack off and hanging it on the back of the chair. I looked around the classroom, trying to find my friends. Spotting one of them in the corner, I grinned, weaving my way through the desks to her.

   “Hi Emily!” I exclaimed, placing my hands on her desk. She looked up at me, and I immediately noticed something different about her.

   “Woah, did you get two black eyes?” I asked, referring to the purple coloring around her eyes. She popped a bubble with her gum, rolling her eyes.

   “No, you idiot. I’m wearing my mom’s makeup,” she stated. My mouth gaped open in shock. I was never allowed to wear makeup.

   “Does your mom know?” I asked incredulously. She laughed, shaking her head. “No, my older sister, Zoey snuck it on me. She’s the best. She even convinced one of her boyfriends to buy me this new outfit,” she said, gesturing to the hot pink and black clothes she was wearing. I didn’t notice they were new, mostly because she’s always wearing something new and different.

   “Well, those clothes look really nice on you,” I complimented. She nodded, then examined my outfit.

   “Remind me to take you shopping with me and Zoey sometime. You could use some new clothes too.”

   I glanced down, not understanding. I loved my clothes, and I didn’t need any more clothes because they all still fit me.

   My thoughts were interrupted by Emily perking up and calling some other girls over. “Hey, Mia, Rachel, Jenny, come over here!”