Never, Never, Never, Never

I squinted my eyes in the dark and watched Zuko try to sneak out of bed. "Zuko, don't try to sneak out." I said, my voice hoarse.

He spun around and sighed. "I was being so quiet. How did you hear me?"

"I didn't hear you. I heard Druk whine when you got up." I replied.

He sighed. "You don't have to come. It's going to be dangerous."

"I'm pretty much used to dangerous. You need my brain." I replied.

"Let's go." Zuko gave in.

I snicked and followed him outside.

He grabbed my hand and led me over to Appa. "Let's hide on Appa so when he tries to leave we can stop him."

We went onto Appa and waited. After about 30 minutes I opened my eyes sleepily as I heard Sokka climbing up Appa. He peered into the saddle.

"Not up to anything, huh?" Zuko said.

Sokka yelped in shock and fell on the ground with a loud thud. "Fine, you caught me. I'm gonna rescue my Dad. You happy now?"

"I'm never happy." Zuko responded without any hesitation.

I made a puff of amusement. This was too good. That could be Zuko's life quote.

"Look, I have to do this. The invasion plan was my idea. It was my decision to stay when things were going wrong. It's my mistake and it's my job to fix it. I have to regain my honor." Sokka started.

I wheezed with laughter. That was Zuko's life quote.

Sokka glanced over at me in confusion. I waved on for him to continue. "You can't stop me Zuko." He finished.

"You need to regain your honor? Believe me, I get it. I'm going with you." Zuko said. He gave me a disaproving glance when he realized why I was laughing.

"No. I have to do this alone." Sokka said, standing on the saddle next to us.

"How are you going to get there? On Appa? Last time I checked, prisons don't have bison day cares." Zuko said sarcastically.

I nodded in agreement. "Good one." I whispered.

"We'll take my war balloon." Zuko said as he gave me sideward glance. "And Ashley is coming too."

Sokka put his hands on his hips all sassy-like. "Zuko, this is supposed to be a secret mission!"

"Oh come on, I've seen shawshank redemption, I'm useful for this!" I replied in protest. They both looked at me blankly. "It's a prison escape movie." I explained quickly. We all hopped off of Appa and started walking to the war balloon. "Wait, guys, we need to write a note so everyone knows we didn't just get snatched." I said.

"You write it." Sokka said casually. I traded a glance with Zuko. "Probably not the best idea that I do that, Zuko you do it."

Zuko scribbled the letter down. "Need meat. Gone fishing. Back in a few days. Sokka, Zuko and Ashley. One more thing. Aang, practice your firebending while I'm gone. Do twenty sets of fire fists and ten hot squats every time you hear a badger frog croak." He read after he finished.

I nodded. "Say 'p.s. give Druk food too'."

Zuko nodded and scribbled that under the note. "Alright, let's go."

———

I shot flames into the furnace of the balloon in order to occupy my time. We were on our way to the boiling rock, but so far it was incredibly awkward. Zuko and Sokka kept just looking at eachother, thinking of something to say, and then coming up empty.