Just Gotta Get Out

Being a servant sucked. I mean, I didn't really how high-maintenance Azula actually was. It seemed like she needed something like all the time. For the next two days, I was just a servant. I didn't provide any sass, I followed all instructions. Azula's coronation was today. But I had other plans.

Today was the day of the comet. I was going to kill my father and take Gaku somewhere safe. And if Azula became Fire Lord, or if Zuko died, or if Aang didn't defeat Ozai; well, I was leaving anyway. But that was all up to them, not to me. I wasn't nearly strong enough to try to interfere with any of that. So I'd stick to my own problems. And on the day of Sozin's Comet, I planned to end all of my problems. Permanently.

First, I had to get through my daily servant stuff as Azula got ready for her big day. I started by combing her hair, while two others did her nails, and one fed her cherries. As Azula was eating one of her cherries, she chewed on a pit. Azula spat the pit in her hand and showed it to the servant.

"What am I holding?" She asked sternly.

"A cherry pit, Princess." The servant replied quietly.

"Correct. And what day is this?" Azula asked.

"It is the day of your coronation."

I watched it all happen in pity for the servant. I can't imagine the girl would get away with this.

"Yes, it is. So please, tell me why on the most important day of my life you decided to leave a pit in my cherry?" Azula glared at the pit between her fingers and then threw it at the servant.

"It wasn't a decision. It was just a small mistake."

"Small? Do you realize what could have happened if I hadn't sensed the pit in time?" Azula questioned.

The other servants and I looked at eachother in bewilderment.

"I supposed you could have... choked?"

Azula nodded. "Yes. Then you will understand the severity of your crime."

The servant bowed her head to the ground. "I understand, Princess. Please, forgive me."

Azula looked at her nails nonchalantly. "Oh very well. Since this is a special day, I will show mercy." The servant smild in relief. "You are banished. Leave this palace immediately."

The other servants and I watched as the girl bowed her head and slowly exited the room.

Azula snapped her head around and glared at me. "What are you all looking at? I have two feet that need scrubbing. And make sure you get in between the toes. I won't have my first day as Fire Lord marred by poor foot hygiene."

This was the worst.

———

Only about an hour later, I was called into the throne room. I walked up to the front and forced a bow. "Princess Azula." I stated blandly.

"Hello Ashley." Azula replied.

I waited a few seconds for a follow up response, but got none. "Why'd you request me?" I finally asked impatiently.

"I seek counsel." Azula answered. "I'm not sure who to trust, once I become Fire Lord."

I looked to the side. "Uh huh. So; just to clarify, you want me to tell you who to trust?" I asked skeptically.

Azula cleared her throat. "Well, advice never hurt anyone."

"Okay; well, at the rate you're going, I wouldn't trust anyone." I said sarcastically.

I didn't expect her to take that seriously. "Sit next to me." Azula ordered.

I gulped. "Okay.." I sat next to Azula, fairly far away to the left, as her blue fire surrounded us. It was here I saw how truly messy she looked. She was only in her robes, and her hair was loose. She ordered all of her Dai Li angents to come in.