Chapter 78

Raven's silent home soon became filled with fifteen hunky wolves. My father compiled a list, mainly younglings, to move to the coven.

Romulus and I volunteered to help move stuff over. It took several car trips to have everyone moved over.

"This is sick! Look! A chandelier!" One of them said while carrying a bag inside.

"Hi, I can show everyone to their assigned rooms." Raven said. They followed her up the twisted stairs in awe of the old Victorian home.

"It's going to reek of wet dog, I better light a candle." Marcus said.

I carried boxes of essentials in the house with Romulus.

"I haven't gotten a chance to thank you yet. My father really didn't want us to join the others." I said to him.

"It was no problem. A solution was needed."

"Romulus saves the day again. We all really appreciate it."

"Thanks, Erin. But I don't know how long Marcus will be able to tolerate fifteen wolves in his house before he snaps."

"It's something. My dad will figure it out. He always does."

I tried to catch up with Bayne after we dropped everything off.

"Sorry, Erin. I have to go back to speak with your dad. Then I have to come back here. I'll see you tomorrow, alright?" He said before leaving.

The distance I felt before had come back. Bayne spent most of his time bouncing from planning with my father to overseeing the younglings at the coven home. I began to fear the worst. I wondered if my performance in bed wasn't adequate for him. I wondered if he turned to Sirius to receive the pleasure he desired.

The dreams came back as well. The dreams of him and Sirius. I wondered if he compared me to him.

I would think to myself about Nadine. I hadn't heard a thing since I visited her. I felt as if it were my fault. I tossed around the idea of going back for her, but she did refuse. I wondered if she had moved on from my father.

Dear Nadine,

Dear Nadine, I think

Dear Nadine, I miss you.

I attempted to write several letters to her, but they didn't seem to flow. I felt like there was a blockage in my brain.

Romulus and Raven remained busy too. Romulus continued to heal any younglings that came through, while Raven was helping them adapt to their new life in the coven home.

As for my father, he was up to his ears in work. Between dealing with Dakota's resistance and figuring a plan to expand the lodge, he was beyond stressed.

"Construction is going to start on the lodge as soon as possible. It needs to be expanded. We are taking a section of the deck off and expanding it, then adding the decks back on at the end." He explained to me, showing me the construction plan.

"Will we be able to live here while it happens?" I asked.

"We'll have to. Construction might be loud, but we will make do. I only want matured wolves here while the construction workers are here. Wouldn't want a youngling to lose it and expose us."

Construction started the next day. I was surprised to see my father out with a hard hat helping construction. He gathered up a few mature wolves to help too.

"Didn't think you'd be out here helping." I said, watching him line up wooden posts.

"I was a construction worker back in the day. Mainly worked on office buildings instead of homes, but it can't be that much different." He said.

The construction was loud during the day, making sleep nearly impossible. I was living off Romulus's green sleep potion he had given me almost a year ago.

"Bayne! You're here!" I greeted him on a particularly loud morning. We were in his bedroom.

"Not for long, I have to get back to the coven. Help with the younglings and all." He said, switching out his clothes.

"You can't stay for a bit?" I asked him.

"Sorry, Erin. But once this is over, things will be better for us." He gave me a kiss on the cheek before leaving me alone in his room.

The drills and hammers were loud. I had nothing better to do but offer my services to help. Outside was where I ran into Raven.

"Raven, hi. I haven't seen you in a while."

"Living with all the younglings is stressful. Do you know how much chicken they eat?" She said.

"Yeah, I can imagine. At least they aren't eating people, though."

"You're right, when construction is done I'm sure things will turn back to normal a bit. Which reminds me, I came over to talk to you about something. Bayne's birthday is soon, I think it would be fun if we threw him a surprise party!"

Bayne's birthday, I had almost forgotten. On August 8th he would be turning twenty one.

"You're right. His birthday is really soon. I had almost forgotten. Yeah, I think it could be fun. I don't think he'd really like the surprise element, though."

"Baynie babie can deal with it, it'll be a nice stress reliever for everyone. And besides, I don't think the wolves here would ever pass up a good party."

"If only Bayne was here long enough. He's always going to the coven house to check on the younglings.

Raven looked confused.

"Bayne? He hasn't been over there in days."

My heart felt like it fell through a trapped door. Why would Bayne lie to me? There had to be a misunderstanding.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure. It's been mainly Romulus over there." She said.

Before I could process my thoughts, there was a knock on the door. The pack never knocked, they just usually entered.

We peaked outside to see a large black vehicle outside with a driver inside. Aspen stood by the door.

I slowly opened it.

"Can I help you?" I asked her.

"Ah, Erin, sweetie. I'm here to see your father. Fetch him for me, why don't you?" She said, her hands folded.