Chapter 17 - The Truth

Alya, Nino, Max, Luka, and Adrien searched all day and set up camp for the night after they had no luck in finding Marinette. Adrien knew this was all his fault and felt awful hiding it from his partners, but he couldn't have them finding out. Alya could sense that he was hiding something and after everyone dozed off she went over and sat down next to Adrien. 

"You aren't telling us something are you?" She asked. Adrien looked at her with a sad look in his eyes. 

"No, I'm not. I did something at Lila's base that was foolish and should've never done." 

"You can tell me, its okay." Alya said. He sighed. 

"It's too horrible, I can't." He said covering his face. Alya was worried now. 

"I'll try not to get to mad at you but please tell me." Adrien breathed a sigh and looked into Alya's face. 

"I told Lila about Marinette in exchange for information." Alya's mouth dropped open. "I planned on getting out of there right after, but Marinette was gone when I returned." He blinked back tears. "See I used to know Queen Lila and she was the only one who knew what happened to my mother so I thought if I could learn that information, I would do anything. It was a mistake." He said. Alya frowned, this was bad, and she knew Adrien was used to being a villain and saw he still had much to learn. 

"I understand, you had a hard past and its difficult for you to make good decisions sometimes, but what you did was wrong. Can you imagine what Marinette would think if she knew what you did?" Adrien sighed. 

"I have a feeling that Lila could have tricked me into leaving and has Marinette as her prisoner." 

"Then we know where we need to go." Alya said. 

"I can't tell them. Luka is gonna kill me." 

"They're going to find out one way or another Adrien. You might as well come clean." Adrien nodded and they slept for the rest of the night.

Adrien had a dream and it was vague, but he could make out Marinette. She looked tired, dirty, and cold with grief strewn on her face. Usually he could communicate with her in his dreams, but something was blocking him. She was fading away and the more he called to her the further she got. He sat up in a cold sweat and looked around him. It was morning and the group was all awake sitting around him. 

"Tell them." Alya said with a stern face and he told them everything. Max looked on him with understanding and Nino was shocked but a bit concerned. Luka was boiling with rage. 

"You monster! Leave us now!" Luka shouted. Adrien stood up. 

"Luka please Adrien can't leave us, he has a connection to Marinette and is the only one who has a chance of finding her. We don't have fighting experience like he does." Alya said. Luka stormed off and Adrien hung his head. 

"We need to focus on the here and now and that means we have to find Marinette no matter the cost. Adrien you lead the way." Alya said. He nodded and they all headed towards Lila's palace.

Hawkmoth prepared his troops to head out and packed up the tents. Marinette still laid fast asleep on the grass and he prodded her with the dull end of his sword to wake her up. She was pulled to her feet and she groaned. 

"Let's move." Hawkmoth said and the group continued on. Marinette tried to walk but kept stumbling and eventually Hawkmoth had to drag her. "Come on Marinette move it." He said shoving her forward and she fell on the ground. 

"I can't!" She yelled out tears streaming down her face. Hawkmoth put his hands on his hips and looked down at her. He walked up to her and examined her legs to see if anything was broken.