BUT THE RECKLESS FEELING VANISHES as soon as I get to school on Friday. Jennifer's at my locker, clearly waiting for me. She perks up as soon as I get there. "Hey, I heard you're hanging out with Calum today."

"Um." I hesitate. "Yeah. Is that okay?"

She nods. "Totally. Of course. I don't want to get in the way of your friendship." She does this weird, strained laugh. "It's so funny because I didn't even know you guys were friends. But now you are! But, like, I'm totally cool with it."

"Are you sure?"

"Very sure. So sure." She nods like a Muppet. Holy shit.

I mean, she's falling apart-and this is over the idea of Calum and me as friends. Platonic, hetero, afterschool friends. She would die if she knew. She would actually die. So, yeah.

"Hey. So." She stares at my forehead. "Will you let me know if he mentions me?"

"Sure."

"Cool. That's awesome. Oh, man. I really appreciate that."

My stomach twists with guilt.

Of course, it's the longest day in the history of long days. Time is actually curdling.

Calum finds me at my locker, in the same exact spot where Jennifer stood this morning. "Are you ready?" he asks, smiling. For a moment, I just look at him.

His hair is tucked in a black beanie, and her cheeks are almost glowing. I think he might be wearing eyeliner, but it's actually hard to know. The eyelash situation is that intense. And he's wearing his matching hoodie. The one I'm wearing right now. The one I wore yesterday. And grey sweat pants with grey converse. "The shoes are from Sydney," he says, catching me staring, and I almost choke on my own spit.

"I know," I say finally.

"I really like your jeans," he says.

It's the one covered in patches, and I'm not going to lie. Other than my prom suit, it's the best thing I own.

"So the weather's really perfect. I know exactly where I want to take you."

Wow. Okay. Where he wants to take me? I don't want to lose my shit or anything, but he's really making this sound like a date.

"I'm good with whatever," I manage.

"Since when are you this agreeable?"

"I'm super agreeable. I don't know what you're talking about, Hood."

"Every time you call me Hood, I feel like you're actually Niall wearing an Ashton mask."

"Are there Ashton masks?"

"There should be," Calum says. Then he turns down a side hall and down the back stairs. There's a set of double push doors at the end of the music hallway-and it's funny because I'm here all the time, but I've never even noticed them. Calum pushes and holds one open with her hip, and I step out into the soft afternoon warmth. We're in a courtyard behind the school, where a path cuts toward the football stadium.

"Are you making me play football?" I ask.

"Obviously. You're a cornerback, right?"

"Okay. Can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

I step onto the path, matching his pace. "Are cornerback and quarterback actually two different things?"

"Is that a real question?" He seems amused.

"I figured it might just be lazy pronunciation."

"Okay. Wow. You are way too cute."