Chapter 11

TW: Flashback/Nightmare triggering PTSD and panic attack (thoughts in italics are Alexander's voice, and italicized and bolded thoughts are Lilian's)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Alex, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to, you know that. It was an accident," Lilian pleaded, the shattered dish on the floor between them. The man towered over her as an angry heat spread up his neck and across his face. A fire of excessive fury was lit behind his eyes causing Lilian to shrink back slightly.

"Shut the fuck up, bitch," he growled. Alexander reached out and grabbed her neck, squeezing tight enough to bruise, before throwing her down to the floor with immense force. A whimper escaped Lilian's lips when her knees collided with the wood. The man only laughed and spit at the cowering woman. "Clean up your mess, and don't bother coming to bed."

Lilian let out a sigh of relief when he walked away and began cleaning up the shattered plate. Tears blurred her vision and slipped down her cheeks from the pain in her knees as well as the fear coursing through her veins. She was throwing the last of the pieces in the bin when Alexander slammed the kitchen door open once more.

The young woman shot up in bed, chest heaving and beads of sweat rolling down her face, neck, and chest. Not wanting to wake the woman beside her, she slipped out of bed and made her way downstairs. She dropped into a seat at the parlor table, a glass of whiskey in hand and cigarette between her lips. All Lilian could think about was the man that haunted her dreams, and the woman asleep in her bed upstairs. Alexander's words combined with her own thoughts felt like they were slowly suffocating her.

I'm the only one who will ever love you, Lilian.

You're disgusting.

No one else will ever want you the way I do.

Polly loves me.

Who am I kidding, no, she doesn't; she's not that stupid.

You're just a dumb whore.

She just needs someone to fill her time.

You'll see soon enough, Lily. You're mine and only mine.

"Stop it!" Lilian screamed, pushing back from the table and chucking her tumbler at the opposite wall. The glass shattered, and in an instant, so did she. Tears streamed down her cheeks while her body trembled. She threw her hands over her ears, trying to block out the thoughts plaguing her mind and ripping her soul to pieces. Lilian yelped when a heavy hand landed on her shoulder; she spun around and started swinging, trying her best to fend off the mystery person.

"Lilian, stop! It's Arthur!" the deep voice exclaimed. He pulled her to his chest and held her tight, not allowing her to escape or land any more punches. Lilian continued to struggle until Arthur's voice finally cut through her clouded mind. "Shh, you're safe, Lil; I got you."

Lilian pulled away slowly, Arthur allowing her to, now that he saw she was calm. Tears filled her eyes once more when she noticed the cut across his cheek made by the rings on her right hand. "Oh my god," she whimpered. "I hurt you. No no no no..." She continued to back away from him until she hit the wall. Her body started to tremble more violently than before, and she slapped a hand over her mouth to cover her strangled sob as she sank to the floor.

"Lilian, it's okay... I'm fine. It doesn't even hurt," Arthur assured as he slowly started to walk toward her. She shook her head rapidly.

"No! Stay away from me, Arthur. I don't want to hurt you again," she cried. The man simply continued toward her, dropping to his knees when he reached her quivering form. He kept his hands where she could see them and made sure all of his movements were slow and obvious.