The Letters From No One

Dateline: July 24, 1991

An owl flies and lands on an antenna on one of Number Four's roofs as it transitions to a camera looking at some men's attire shoes. The camera pans up to reveal Dudley in a uniform and is smiling gracefully in front of Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia.

''Awww, Smile!'' Petunia gasped as she took a photograph of him. ''Vernon, just look at him. I can't believe it. In just a week, you'll be off to Smeltings.'' Hermione and the Boy walked into the room to see Dudley in his school uniform.

''Proudest Moment of My Life,'' said Vernon, proudly

''Will we have to wear that too?'' Hermione asked, bemused as the Dursleys draw their attention to Hermione and the Boy.

''What, you two? Go to Smeltings?'' asked Petunia as Hermione nods in question as the Dursleys laugh in amusement. ''Oh, don't be so stupid, you're going to the state school where you belong.'' She goes to the kitchen and fishes out grey shirts from the boiler. ''And this is what you're gonna be wearing when I've finished dyeing it.''

''But that's Dudley's old uniform,'' Hermione complained

''It'll fit me like bits of old elephant skin.'' the Boy complained

''It'll fit you well enough.'' Petunia calmly snapped, ''Go get the post. Go!''

They went to the hall, and they find a postcard, a bill, and two strange-looking envelopes with Hermione's and the Boy's name on them: Mr. H. Potter or Ms. H. Granger, The Cupboard Under The Stairs, 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey.

''That's odd; we never get mail.'' Hermione said to the Potter boy, ''Harry? What does this mean?''

''I don't know, Hermione,'' said Harry. ''But I know we shouldn't be in here for long; you know how Uncle Vernon likes to punish us bad.''

''Yeah, we should go,'' said Hermione as they both walked into the kitchen with Vernon reading the newspaper.

Harry handed the postcard to Vernon and said, ''Oh, Marge is ill! Ate a funny whelk.''

Dudley noticed something in Harry and Hermione's hand and took the letter out of Harry's hand. ''Dad! Look! Harry's got a letter!'' he screamed.

''Hey, give it back! It's mine!'' Harry yelled

''Yours? Who'd be writing to you?'' questioned Vernon as the entire Dursley family looked at the envelope. They looked at it and realized that they're being watched.

Vernon glared at Harry, and both he and Hermione went to their room under the stairs. They shut the door, and Harry spoke silently, ''Open it, The letter.''

Hermione ripped open the envelope and saw a letter placed inside. She pulled out the letter and began to read, ''HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY: Headmaster Albus Dumbledore (Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards). Dear Ms. Granger, We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on September 1. We await our owl by no later than July 31.

Yours sincerely, Minerva McGonagall, Deputy Headmistress.''

''Witchcraft? Wizardry?'' questioned Harry ''What does she mean?''

''Don't know,'' she answered. ''What I do know is that we're not supposed to mention this to Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, or Dudley.''

''You're right. In the meantime, if you want, you can pocket your letter. Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, or Dudley won't even search our pockets.''

''I will; in the meantime, we gotta get out of our room. We don't want Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, or Dudley to starve.''

''Okay, let's go.'' and they did

Dateline: July 27, 1991

An owl flies with a letter and successfully drops it off inside. Vernon is there immediately and starts tearing the letters piece by piece. Both Harry and Hermione hear a drilling noise from inside their room, and they decide to open the door silently. They see Vernon drilling the door closed.

''No more mail through this letterbox,'' he said as Hermione pushed Harry onto the bed and closed the door silently.

Dateline: July 28, 1991

During the events of last night, things got out of hand quite quickly. Just as Vernon was off to work, he kissed Petunia on the cheek and noticed that there are owls perched on Vernon's car.

''Shoo!'' he said, waving his briefcase. ''Go on!''

She notices the letters on the doormat, and she patted Vernon's shoulder taking his attention away from the owls. After Vernon got rid of the owls, he was off to work for a company called Grunnings, which made drills. Petunia was making dessert until she noticed that it wasn't the yolk that came out when she cracked an egg but a folded up letter inside of it. She cracked another one issuing that it was a little weird, and cracked another egg; another letter came out. She breaks another egg and, again, same result: Another letter. She stared at the letter, and she overheard owls screeching in the distance. She looks outside and sees four owls sitting on chairs. Noticing this, Petunia screams and runs off.

In the evening, Harry and Hermione were walking around the house and saw the light in the family room. Vernon is tossing both Harry and Hermione's letters in the fire. Vernon noticed both Harry and Hermione at the far end of the wall, and he grinned evilly at them. He tossed more letters in the fire, not noticing mean glares from Harry.

Dateline: July 29, 1991

''Fine day, Sunday,'' Vernon said confidently. ''In my opinion, best day of the week. Why is that, Dudley?''

Dudley shrugged at Vernon's question causing Hermione to answer the question while she and Harry served cookies in the kitchen. ''Because there's no post on Sunday?''

''Right you are, Hermione.'' Vernon said, taking a cookie from Harry ''No post on Sunday. Ha! No blasted letters today. No, sir. Not one single bloody letter, not one.''

Hermione and Harry looked outside, and they saw a lot of owls by the house, waiting patiently for them to leave the house.

''No, sir, not one blasted miserable-'' Vernon began as a letter hit him in the face causing Harry and Hermione to look at the fireplace.

The house began to rumble with Vernon covering his ears and both Hermione and Harry watching curiously. Not much later, the fireplace exploded with letters earning shrieks from the Dursleys and enjoyment for Hermione and mostly Harry. Harry jumps on the coffee table, trying to grab his letter and succeeds. He runs away to his room, causing Vernon the chase after him. As Harry begins to unhinge the door, Vernon grabs him by his chest. More letters shoot everywhere around the house while Petunia is gripping tightly on Hermione with her wrists and touching lightly on Dudley's shoulders. The drilled piece of wood breaks, causing more letters to fall out of the letterbox. Vernon gets mad and begins to screech, ''That's it! We're going away! Far away! Where they can't find us!''

''Daddy's gone mad, hasn't he?!'' Dudley screamed in horror as Aunt Petunia agreed with a horrified look on her face.