13

I was kicking myself for not connecting the dots sooner. I can't believe I had Zena with me and didn't ask for her help in fighting Lilitu. I know they've been struggling to contact Lara because she refused to meet with them. They had also reached out to Alec, but he directed them to his sister... who refused to meet with us. How are we gonna-

"Ken!" I looked up and saw Hailey and Alex. "We've been looking all over for you." Alex hugged me.

"Where have you been?" It was Hailey's turn to hug me. "And why did you suddenly leave?" She was concerned.

"The Queen is requesting you." Alex nervously said.

"Is she mad?" They nodded. "Ugh!"

"We need to go to her right away... but that doesn't mean we can't walk incredibly slow." Hailey smiled and placed an arm around me.

"And your compensation for our generosity is to spill the tea." Alex grinned.

By the time we made it back to the palace, Alex and Hailey were stunned. I had to actually drag them inside since they were as still as statues. First, they couldn't believe Nyx cheated on me with Eris. And then they were shocked to learn Zena was in our realm.

"Kenny, I'm gonna be honest with you." Hailey stopped and held my hands. "Nyx and I were completely toxic and sought to hurt each other. However, that's not the case with you. She loves you and wants to cherish everything you two share. That being said... I find it hard to believe she'd betray your trust like that. There has to be something more to it."

"You really see the best in people." I sighed. "What if she really-"

"You won't know unless you talk to her." I turned to Alex. "As far as I know, she's aloof to your accusation. You've repeatedly told her she's cheated on you, but she fervently denies it. Which can only mean-"

"She didn't do it." Hailey concluded. "Are you sure you saw her?"

"Yes! I walked in on her and Eris and then locked eyes with Eris as she came on Nyx's hand!"

I furrowed my brows when the two straightened up. Their faces told me that someone was behind me. I loudly exhaled and turned around to see an irritated Nyx. Her arms were crossed while her eye twitched. Hey! At least she looks better... after I electrocuted her...

"I don't know what the hell you're talking about, but your mother is waiting." Nyx said with a bite. "And I'd prefer if you didn't spread false narratives about me." She turned and walked away.

I rolled my eyes and walked to the throne room. I gulped when I locked eyes with my mom. She dismissed a council member and gave me her undivided attention. Poor me. Ajax stood by the wall with his hands clasped. I heard him take a deep breath before standing next to me. Shit, I got him in trouble. Hailey stayed while Alex left. I saw Roman enter and usher the guards outside.

"What the hell were you thinking?!" My mom spoke after the doors closed.

"I.. uh-"

"It isn't safe to be out in the human realm because my sister could kidnap you any second. And then we had a security breach and had to lockdown the realm. Imagine how I felt when I learned my daughter fled my kingdom and was occupying a place where she was fair game." Her eyes narrowed. "What would possess you to do something so reckless?!"

"I-"

"I was almost positive it was Nyx's idea, but she was just as confused as I. She volunteered to fetch you herself even though she's a wanted demon." I arched a brow. "Yes! Her and her friend's heads are on the line. Lilitu wants the Angels of Death captured and delivered to her... dead or alive. And she isn't just using demons. Any creature... supernatural or not is searching for them. She risked her life to find you!" I looked down since I didn't know that. "Why?"