016. dust and shadows

Jace and Madi stood side by side, facing Aldertree who was announcing something to the Shadowhunters

Jace and Madi stood side by side, facing Aldertree who was announcing something to the Shadowhunters. "During the attack on the City of Bones, Jace Wayland fought bravely, and thus the Clave, in their wisdom, has exonerated him from all crimes. And the chief physician in Idris reports that Lydia Branwell's condition continues to improve."

Isabelle suddenly stepped beside Madeline, joining the crowd. Jace looked over at the younger Lightwood, "Out of the infirmary in record time. Looking good." He said. "I always look good. Why isn't Alec here?" Isabelle asked. "He needs some space." Madi answered her sister.

"We face a new threat." Aldertree said, as the trio looked back to him. "Valentine has the Mortal Cup and now possesses the Soul-Sword, two of the three Mortal Instruments. Our mission now is to find out what he plans to do with them, and when."

"Jace, you okay?" Madi asked, looking to her new boyfriend. He nodded, "I'm fine. But apparently no one else is, judging by the way they're all looking at me." Jace responded. Isabelle faced her adoptive brother, "Jace, I'm sorry for letting them take you to the City of Bones. I thought–"

"It's all good, Izzy. You saved Alec's life... and mine. I would've done the same thing." Jace assured her.

"Tomorrow night's rite of passage will bring the total number of dead to 26 fallen Silent Brothers and three Shadowhunters. Take this time to grieve and plan for what lies ahead. Your orders will follow." Aldertree concluded as the crowd began to disperse.

Izzy groaned and grabbed her shoulder, in pain. "Iz?" Madi asked. "Your shoulder still hurts, huh?" Jace said as Isabelle answered, "A little stiff. Uh, don't worry about me. Keep an eye on Clary."

☠︎︎

"Are you sure about this?" Malia asked Clary, as they stood on the steps leading to Iris Rouse's home. Clary gave Malia a nod, before she knocked on Iris' front door.

Iris opened the door. "Look at this. A Shadowhunter on my doorstep." She began, keeping her gaze on Clary. "Oh, let me guess. You're heartbroken and you want some fabulous boy to love you again." Malia glared at the woman, but Clary had spoken up before she could say anything.

"Can you raise my mother from the dead?"

The smile faded from Iris' face, as it should have.

"She just died, and she–"

"Oh, God, you poor child." Iris said, stepping out of the house to give Clary a hug. "Oh. I am so sorry. For your loss. And also for my big mouth. I... How recently did she pass?" Iris asked. "Two days ago. I know this is considered dark magic, but–" Clary responded.