Chapter 6

A month later

It's been a month since Jamie left this place called earth. Since I lost a close friend. I've known Jamie since I can remember. She's been a part of my life for a very, very long time. She has always motivated me to keep moving on and that my time will come, many not soon but it'll come, I've just got to hang in there and go through it all. I guess I've got that memorised. 

Ever since Jamie was gone, I've been visiting the street that I used to call 'Jamie's'. It felt so foreign and different being here without her in sight. It's quite lonely, I admit. The street is basically like it's been shut down since she's been gone. It's as if their queen is gone. The security and that warmth that used to be sheltering the place is nowhere to be found. It's quiet and pretty discouraging without her being here, but I'm happy she's gone home where she'll be loved and safe. She's happy. I'm willing to stay happy for her. 'Different things happen in this life, but we shouldn't let that put us down and crush our spirits, instead we move on and live the life that's been given to us.' Her words keep ringing in my mind as if she told me this only yesterday. She's one amazing woman! 

I remember, years ago when I was about thirteen or fourteen when my mom started hurting me with tools or whatever you call them. Things used to get too out of hand. I would cry to her after school and she would just listen and rub my back the whole time and I actually did feel a little better. She would say, 'be strong, M' everytime I cried to her. And eventually I did get used to my mom doing all sorts of mean things to me. Yes, they were painful- there's just no other word to describe the pain she does but I was able to battle through them. 

I'm sad, more than sad that I lost her in such a way but I'm also happy knowing that she's home and she'll be happy up there. 

"I love you, Jamie..." I say slowly into thin air hoping that she'll hear me. 

I spotted a car pulling up by the street. Jack. 

"How'd you know I'd be here..." I ask walking towards his car. 

"Hey beautiful" I give him a confused smile before getting in the car. "I don't know, I just guessed." He says. 

"Oh." 

"So, I was thinking of maybe hanging out today?" He said after I buckled up and started the car. 

"Okay, but I have to be at home by seven-thirty at least." I said and he nodded while keeping his eyes on the road. "So where are we going?" I ask after a few minutes of silence. 

"Somewhere fun" he smiles. 

"Somewhere fun? But where?" I asked, determined to know where he's taking us. 

"Like I said, somewhere fun." He smirks when I made a 'hmph' noise leaning against the car seat and looked out the window. "Oh c'mon. Don't be like that." He says. I kept quiet not because I was upset or anything though. 

"Be like what?" 

"Like that." He gestures his head to me. 

"I'm fine" I said before an idea popped into my head. "Can I turn up the volume?" I ask since the radio was so low that you could barely hear the music playing. 

"Sure, I hope you like CNCO..." he says, turning up the volume. 

"They're good." I smile. He was pressing the forward button a few times and then settled on one song. 

The song started to play and it took me a few seconds to recognise that the song that was playing was 'Reggaetón Lento'. It felt nice to know someone listens to the same songs as you. I found myself softly tapping my fingers on my knees. My mind drifted to the times where I used to spend my time in the dance studio, when it was a free period of course. I wanted to get my head off a few things and I thought dancing would be the best thing to do at that time and surprisingly it did.