Chapter 82

Her cries were unbearable to hear.

"Nadine! No!" I cried.

My father tumbled with the wolf who bit her, throwing him back onto the ground. They rolled like a log.

"Bayne! We have to help him!"

"I'm not leaving you. I have to save you."

The tussle continued. Nadine's screams and cries echoed throughout the hall.

"Please! Let me help her!" Romulus appeared with Jaxson from the closet.

"Not a chance." Aspen said, standing over Nadine.

The scuffle continued. Until we heard a crash. One wolf slammed to the ground with a heavy thud. It didn't move. My father was victorious.

His eyes then locked on Aspen.

"Not so fast, Ulrich! Don't forget, I still have your son. Where is that filthy half breed?"

Bayne pushed me behind his back.

"Stay the hell away from him." Bayne stood tall.

"Oh yes. The cute, but overprotective boyfriend. This isn't your fight, Bayne. Stand aside and join my army. Leave the rest of this behind."

"I would never join you."

"Fine. Give me Ulrich's son. Then sniff out the witch."

The wolves did as she commanded. They approached us, slowly backing us into a corner.

"Erin. When I say so, you need to run." Bayne said quietly.

"I'm not leaving you."

"Erin. Don't be stupid. Please. I'll come get you after. I'll keep everyone safe." He said.

The two matured wolves backed us into a corner. Bayne changed into a wolf, tearing through his clothes. He pushed them back.

Now! Run!

I did as he commanded, and tried to run away. I tried to think of any way to get outside. They had all the door guarded, but not all the windows.

A wolf caught up to me and grabbed me by the ankle of the pants. Bayne and Ulrich attempted to tear him off, but he flicked them off as if they were measly bugs.

He tossed me forward for everyone to see. They found Raven. They dropped both of us at Aspen's feet.

Nadine's screams stopped as she fell unconscious.

"Who hid the moon?" She demanded.

Before I could speak, Raven blurted out.

"I did! Let him go!"

"You both are unnatural beings. Ulrich's son will be killed right now, unless you bring out the moon for me."

We knew that would be the end of us. Her youngling army was too vast.

"You don't want to do that! Younglings are reckless! They don't know what they're doing! They could kill each other!" Raven said.

"If a few lives end from friendly fire for a greater cause, so be it."

I couldn't believe her words. She was frightening. She had no regard for anyone's lives but her own. She was a rotten apple. Rotten to the core. From her sleeve, she pulled out a knife and pressed it to my neck.

"Bring out the moon! Now! Or he dies! If anyone attacks me. I'll cut into his neck."

The blade teased my skin. It was sharp, if she pressed a little harder it would be carved into me. I had faced death many times, but have I never felt so defeated.