Part 4: Chapter 85

The beginning of the end began with flowers. Lots, and lots of flowers.

It was the eve of the wedding. Nadine hade made various arrangements of rust orange and maroon flowers to match the autumn leaves. She and Raven were finishing adding flowers to the wedding arch. Romulus was putting dark wooden chairs out.

Nadine was around two months pregnant. Her pregnancy hadn't become too noticeable yet, so she insisted on the wedding being sooner than later.

"What do you think? How does it look?" Nadine asked from standing on top her step ladder.

"Looks good!" I responded.

She climbed down to look at it herself.

"No! It's crooked!" She returned to her step ladder and continued to adjust the decorative flowers and leaves on the arch.

"Let me get up there and help fix it." I said.

"No, you'll make it look more crooked!"

"Nadine, you're pregnant. Let me."

"I may be pregnant but I'm not helpless! Stay down there."

I didn't argue with her any further. I stayed to the ground, watching her adjust the alatar.

"So when are the guests coming?" Raven asked her.

"Soon. I think. Lidia promised she'd be here for the rehearsal dinner." Nadine said.

"Lidia? As in a human?" Romulus asked as he straightened up the row of chairs.

"Yes. Ulrich and I had a long talk about it. We picked the rainiest weekend in the month, so no one should transform. He also told a lot of the wolves they could go see their families this weekend if they wanted, but they had to be careful. Especially the younglings."

"So what exactly did you tell her?" Raven asked.

"I'm marrying Erin's dad...And he has a big family that he lives with."

"You think she's going to believe that?" I asked.

"She'll have to." She said.

We heard footsteps on the crunchy fall leaves. I looked over and my heart blew up like a balloon. It was him.

It was Bayne Greene.

He was shirtless, and just wearing tennis shoes and shorts. He carried a t shirt balled up in his hand. Sweat made his tan skin glisten. His light colored hair was a shade darker from the damp sweat that was collected.

"Hey, Bayne. How's the construction going?"

"Finished. Upon Ulrich's request." He took his t-shirt and wiped his forehead.

The wolves had been working hard the past month. They dedicated all of their time to help complete construction before the wedding. And from Bayne's words, it sounded like they had succeeded. Bayne put his own house work on hold to complete the lodge.

"I'm kind of glad. It's not bad having the younglings in my home, but they eat so much. It'll be nice to have a quiet home again after this weekend." Raven said.

"So your friends are coming. Are your parents coming?" Romulus asked.

"I don't know. I invited them. They don't really approve of me marrying a middle aged man. They also don't know I'm pregnant."

"They'll come around." I told her.

I thought of my aunt and uncle who raised me. I hadn't heard anything from them. I lied to myself thinking they'd come around too.