Missed Opportunities

"Are you coming tonight?"

I stared at the text message my friend had sent me two hours ago. I pondered over the thought of going to their house for quite a long time now and I still didn't know what to answer.

"Should I go?" my thoughts wondered about all the possibilities that might happen if I chose to go. I could encounter a thief or a murderer. I might get into an accident that I would end up either heavily injured or, worse, dead. People might look at me weirdly because of how I dress myself.

I shivered at the recent thought I had and lowered down the sleeves of the cardigan I was wearing. I wouldn't want people to see the pain evolved physically into continuously stinging lines that resulted from being overtaken by both moroseness and trepidation. Paradoxically.

I've avoided people for the past months because of this and because of the judgement they might give me.

But then, that gave me an idea. If I went out, I would be free from my family's verdicts about my whole being, even for just one night. I would not hear them conjure my entire life from their wicked viewpoints. I might actually feel happy being miles away from them for a while.

I sighed and smiled sadly at the thought. It sounded like a dream, a wish on a star that might never come true. With these in mind, my fingers unconsciously typed an answer to my friend and sent it to her without a second thought.

"No, I think I'll pass."