ACT 1 SCENE 2: Freud Meets Jung

(No music today, just a straight up scene about how Carl Jung met Sigmund Freud. This is the scene in between the songs "Pick it Up, Martha" and "The Cigar Song". Also, please keep in mind that although I wrote what Freud says - and performed as him - that does not mean I support what he says. It's called satire. Enjoy!)

 Enjoy!)

SIGMUND

(OFFSTAGE)

WHAT IS GOING ON DOWN THERE?!!

MARTHA

Everything's fine.

MINNA

Nothing. Nothing's going on!

MARTHA

(FLUFFING PILLOWS)

I would appreciate a little decorum and order in this house, Minna. The children made a mess just before they left for the country and you know I only have two hands! I don't even have Hilda to help me.

MINNA

(BALANCING A TOY TRAIN ON HER HEAD)

I am not the maid replacement. Sorry. Didn't sign up for that!

MARTHA

(GRABBING THE TOY FROM HER HEAD)

Honestly you are just like a child sometimes. I don't know how we can possibly be sisters.

MINNA

You're right. It does make me wonder about mother sometimes. Perhaps we have different fathers? Hmm?

MARTHA

(CROSSLY)

Do you mean to suggest...

MINNA

Oh don't be so serious Martha. I'm only having some fun with you.

MARTHA

How are questions about mother's fidelity "fun" exactly? And furthermore I would appreciate a little help as long as you are living under our roof - in lieu of rent. (Calling) Sigmund? What is he doing up there?

MINNA

(HESITANTLY)

Oh he was ...uh...just doing some writing upstairs.

(SHE POURS A DRINK)

MARTHA

Sigmund! Please you've left the tarot cards all over the floor.

SIGMUND

(HE COMES IN PICKING UP THE CARDS WITH HIS CANE)

Yes Mother Hen! I am coming! You know, I do not know who is more annoying; those anti-Semites at the University trying to ruin my career, or you?

MARTHA

(OBSESSIVELY CLEANING)

I have had to raise six children, and if I include you two in that number - I have raised eight children and I, for one, am tired of picking up after every one of you.