ACT 1 SCENE 4: Jung Analyzes Freud

(The following is a straight scene without songs although it does have background music which the vocal songs are based on. Carl Jung did analyze Freud and vice versa on an ocean liner in the Atlantic Ocean).

SCENE FOUR

CARL

(TO THE AUDIENCE IN THE UNCONSCIOUS REALM)

Ahhh the truth. This bizarre turn of events made me question what truth is. Even though Sigmund was an adulterer our relationship did grow over the years. In 1910, the four of us took an ocean liner to America where Freud was doing a series of lectures.

SFX: FOGHORN OF AN OCEAN LINER

MUSIC: A FREUDIAN SLIP OF THE JUNG THEME (INST)

(THE OTHER THREE ARE STANDING IN THE FRAMES, BACKS TO THE AUDIENCE, SWAYING BACK AND FORTH AS IF ON A BOAT)

He wanted me to come along to help establish psychoanalysis in the United States. He told me privately he thought my gentile background might help him to get his message across in the "United States of Jesus".

Professionally I found that I disagreed with his ideas more and more and I now considered myself Freud's equal in a world where I was rapidly becoming a star.

On the voyage home Freud decided we should take the opportunity to analyze each other's dreams.

(EXASPERATED)

Sounded like a good idea!

SETTING: AN OCEAN LINER. THE MIDDLE OF THE ATLANTIC OCEAN

(FREUD ENTERS THE ROOM)

CARL

Please sit on the couch Sigmund.

SIGMUND

(SARCASTIC)

Oh is that what you do in therapy? Believe it or not I know how this whole analysis scenario works Carl. Remember? I invented it.

CARL

May I remind you that this was your idea that I analyze your dreams?

SIGMUND

Yes well I recognize your potential. However, you still believe in ghosts and goblins and acupuncture. I have to take everything you say with a bag of salt.

CARL

Maybe this isn't a good idea.

SIGMUND

(SUDDENLY FLOPPING DOWN ON THE COUCH)

I had the dream about the ballet dancer again.

CARL

Ah yes. Did you discover who she really is this time?

SIGMUND

No of course not. The dancer was wearing a mask like she always does.

(WE ENTER THE REALM OF THE UNCONSCIOUS. FREUD'S DREAM WORLD IS REPRESENTED BY MINNA AS A BALLET DANCER AND MARTHA AS THE THEATRE OWNER. THEY ARE BOTH WEARING MASKS)

MUSIC: LIVING A LIE INSTRUMENTAL 2

CARL

Go on.

SIGMUND

I am a spectator. In the Vienna opera house. There is a dancer on stage who is so delicate and refined. I can't really have the relationship I want with this person. So I come to the theatre every day to watch this performance as I sit alone in the darkness. Then, the dancer approaches me and kisses me on the mouth with her Jung. Suddenly, the...