ACT 2 SCENE 1: Freud Analyzes Jung

(This week does not have a song but is leading up to a song. This is a key exchange between Freud and Jung that really occurred after Freud misunderstood Jung's dream.)

SFX AND MUSIC: SOUNDS OF DRUMS AND ANCIENT CHANTINGS

CARL

This tunnel opens up into a larger area. A cave where the first people dwelled. There are cave drawings on the walls. And two "skulls" stuck on the top of sticks.

(MARTHA AND MINNA REVEAL TWO SKULLS ON TOP OF STICKS WHENEVER THE WORD "SKULLS" IS SAID)

SFX: "LAW AND ORDER" STING EVERYTIME "SKULLS" IS SAID

SIGMUND

(GASPS)

Skulls!?

CARL

Yes.

SIGMUND

Carl, I must say this dream is very disturbing. Especially the "skulls!" It's like it is from the mind of Edgar Allen Poe.

CARL

Oh, but what a great mind.

(MUSIC STOPS. THEY STAND IN A SPOTLIGHT CENTRE STAGE FACING THE AUDIENCE AS IF THEY ARE DOING A VAUDEVILLE ROUTINE)

SIGMUND

Oh yes! The Tell Tale Heart is an excellent example of guilt manifesting itself in the human unconscious.

CARL

Yes and I found the book was much better than the movie.

SIGMUND

Indubitably.

(THEY SMILE AT EACH OTHER AND THEN RETURN TO THE SCENE)

Anyway back to your dream. Who do you suppose those two "skulls" are supposed to be?

CARL

(PAUSE)

I don't know. Perhaps they are you and Martha.

SIGMUND

(GASPS)

If that is true....then...then what this dream means is that you have formed some sort of Oedipal complex towards me. You want to kill me!

CARL

Hogwash!

SIGMUND

Metaphorically speaking of course. You want me out of the way in the psychiatric community. You're trying to replace me. Don't you see? I am your father, Jung!

(LAST LINE DELIVERED LIKE DARTH VADER)

I knew I sensed hostility from you in the past few days. Some sort of primal anger. I have suspected this for some time.

CARL

No you have it all wrong...

SIGMUND

Which must mean that you secretly desire Martha!

(SUDDENLY HURT)

Carl! She's my wife.

CARL

No you are misinterpreting this dream. And also my anger.

SIGMUND

You are transferring the anger you have towards your father to me.

CARL