ACT 1 SCENE 3: Song "Living a Lie"

(This scene is based on something Jung claims actually happened. Sometimes people think I made up this story, but the bare bones of it is based on real stories. Minna's confession in this scene happened on the very night Jung first met Freud. The song "Living a Lie" is short but it is a theme that carries on throughout the musical. Video and song link provided in the appropriate place.)

MINNA

(QUIETLY BUT URGENTLY)

Please Dr. Jung. Don't tell anyone what you've seen tonight.

CARL

I'm not even sure what I saw. I didn't see anything.

MINNA

(OBVIOUSLY UPSET)

We've been having an affair for years. Isn't it obvious? Right under her nose. I feel so...so guilty about it.

CARL

Oh no! Please. Don't tell me this.

MINNA

It is true. Every word of it. I don't know how to make it stop. Can you help me Doctor?

CARL

How could he be sleeping with his sister? It doesn't make sense.

MINNA

He's a pig just like every other man.

(SHE GIVES HIM A PLAYFUL POKE)

Well maybe not you. But you know what I mean.

CARL

I-I-I don't want to know this.

MINNA

I don't know why you had to stumble in when you did. But you did. It must have happened for a reason. You were meant to know.

CARL

(THIS SEEMS TO MAKE SOME SENSE TO HIM)

Yes. Yes perhaps. But...

MINNA

Yes you're shattered. How do you think I felt? My own brother-in-law.

CARL

Why didn't you just say no!?

MINNA

Look I'm not proud of what I've done. But we've fallen for each other in a way...a way he doesn't feel for her anymore. Please. You've never had a dalliance?

CARL

No! And especially not with a relative.

MINNA

Are you judging me?

(SHE HITS HIM WITH HER SCARF)

CARL

I'm not judging. Well yes I am judging. I just.... I don't know what to do with this information. It's incest!

MINNA

(OVER-DRAMATICALLY)

Oh don't be so over-dramatic! I'm his sister "in-law". Just keep the information to yourself for now. And stop putting the old fool on such a high pedestal! He obviously doesn't deserve it.

CARL

(PAUSE)

Oh dear God I need some sleep. Please wake me up in the morning and tell me this didn't happen.

MINNA

I could. But it wouldn't be the truth.

MUSIC: LIVING A LIE: PART ONE

MINNA

WE'RE LIVING A LIE

SIGMUND

(FROM HIS PICTURE FRAME)

IF NOT FOR THE CHILDREN

MINNA

I HEARD HIM REPLY

MINNA AND SIGMUND

I CANNOT LOOK HER IN THE EYE

MINNA

WE DANCE AND TWIRL TO THE END OF OUR WORLD

MATING AND THEN MASQUERADING

LIKE A FADING SAD BUTTERFLY

CARL

YOU'RE LIVING A LIE

MINNA

AND I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT I DON'T HAVE THE PRIDE TO INSIST THAT HE LEAVE ME ALONE

CARL

(UNDERNEATH)

YOU'RE LIVING A LIE

MINNA

I'VE GOT NOWHERE TO GO - IT'S SO EASY FOR YOU

TO SIT IDLY BY WITH YOUR STONES BY YOUR SIDE

(THEY DANCE. MINNA LEAVES BLOWING HIM A KISS. CARL STANDS THERE FOR A MOMENT SILENTLY. END OF SONG)

(Before we move on I just wanted to say that one time a really good actor read this scene and thought that the secret of the affair was revealed too early in the play. They were very insistent about this. I thought about this criticism a lot but I decided I disagree for a couple of reasons. First, this is how it happened in real life according to Jung. And I wanted to stick as close to the truth as possible. To me the play is partially about what it is like to know a secret that you aren't able to tell. Jung has a dilemma of knowing something terrible about someone he truly admires - and just met. Next week we move on to "ACT 1 SCENE 4: Jung's Analysis". This scene takes place several years later and changes location to an ocean liner headed back to Europe from America. Jung examines a dream of Freud's.)