ACT 2 SCENE 1: Song "Hypnoid Hysteria"

(The following scene is loosely based on a dream Jung once described to Freud.)

(THEY ALL SIT DOWN AT ONCE FOR DINNER. MARTHA IS THE ONLY ONE EATING HAPPILY. THE OTHER THREE EYE EACH OTHER SUSPICIOUSLY)

SFX: RHYTHMIC CUTLERY AND EATING SOUNDS

CARL

(TO THE AUDIENCE)

Needless to say it was an awkward meal. We all sat at the table silently picking at our food.

SFX: MARTHA BELCH PRE-RECORDED

(MARTHA BURPS. MINNA AND MARTHA EXIT. FREUD LIES COMFORTABLY ON THE COUCH WITH A CIGAR)

(CARL CONT'D)

That night I tossed and turned. When I did fall asleep I had the most extraordinary dream. I must say I was quite hesitant to reveal last night's dream to Freud.

SIGMUND

I know you are.

CARL

(SLIGHTLY STARTLED. HE SITS ON THE COUCH)

You were very aggressive with me yesterday. You accused me of things I did not do. And today I am supposed to pretend it did not happen and reveal to you my innermost dreams?

SIGMUND

Well it is a complex relationship you and I have I will admit. You must forgive me as I was in a vulnerable position. You brought up my housekeeper from childhood. It is a sensitive area. I assure you that I take my profession very seriously and my personal issues will not sway my objectivity in analyzing your dreams.

CARL

Well. I do forgive you. And thank you.

(CLEARS HIS THROAT)

The first image I encounter in this dream is my family home in Switzerland.

SIGMUND

(MOTIONS TO CARL TO PUT HIS HEAD ON HIS LAP)

Your mother's home.

CARL

(HE HESITANTLY LIES DOWN WITH HIS HEAD ON FREUD'S LAP)

Yes where I grew up. On the top floor. It is bright. The sun is beaming through the windows. I move downstairs to the kitchen.

SIGMUND

(TAKING NOTES)

Ah!

CARL

There are things I remember from childhood. Household items. Books my father read. But then I go down to the cellar. The stairwell is longer than the real stairwell we had. It seems to go on forever.

SIGMUND

A tunnel of some sort. Yes?

CARL

No it's not a tunnel. The room below is full of antiques that I have never seen before. Old dusty books. The Old Testament.

SIGMUND

The Old Testament?

(HE SEEMS DISAPPOINTED. HE SCRIBBLES SOMETHING DOWN)

CARL

But there are also maps, sculptures, and paintings. An endless array of human artifacts.

SIGMUND

What do the sculptures look like?

CARL

Oh all kinds. I remember the Statue of David.