Chapter Twenty-One.

6 Weeks Later

Ruby was sitting on her couch in the living room when she heard a knock at her door. She rushed to answer it, trying not to keep whoever was on the other side waiting.

To her surprise when she opened the door, Theo was standing there, a sheepish smile on his face.

The bruising that once surrounded his throat was now gone and he almost seemed happy.

Without thinking, Ruby wrapped her arms around his neck in a hug and pulled him through the doors threshold.

"What are you doing here?" She asked, smiling at him.

"I just wanted to check in. See how you were doing."

She motioned for him to follow her back to the living room, "I'm okay. Life seems to finally be getting back to normal."

"I'm glad." He said, but his smile slowly started to fade.

Ruby looked at him with worry, "Are you alright?"

Theo invited himself to sit down on the couch and patted the spot beside him for Ruby, "I lied to you. I do care about how you're doing, but that's not why I'm here."

Anxiety filled the pit of Ruby's stomach. What if Henry got out of jail? What if he was coming for them? Someone would have told her, right?

"Then why are you here?" She asked, her voice shaking.

Theo took a deep breath, "I spoke with the officers who are covering our case. They'll most likely tell you this themselves, but I thought you might feel better hearing it from me." He paused for a second, "They've asked that we testify in court and tell the jury extreme details about what happened during the time we were kidnapped."

Ruby's heart sank. She wanted to see Master be put away, but it was hard enough for her just to tell the police what had happened, much less an entire court room.

"Can they not just use our statements?" Ruby asked, panic rising in her tone.

"Maybe. But I don't think that is the best idea. The jury needs to see us tell our stories. And Olivia refuses to speak with anyone about what happened. She's like a shell that won't open up now. It's up to us. I'll be there with you. You're not alone."

Theo's words reassured Ruby. They almost made Ruby's stomach stop turning.

"Olivia hasn't spoken in six weeks. Do you think she ever will again?" Ruby asked, changing the subject.

"Honestly. I don't know. The last I heard the mental institution deemed her mentally unstable."

The idea that she had become mentally unstable didn't sit right with Ruby. What if there was something she could have done? Something that could have saved her?

Maybe Davina's death really was her final breaking point.

"What if us testifying isn't enough?" Ruby asked, growing anxious.

Theo watched her with determination, "It has to be."