Chapter 36

Chapter 36

It was only the second day that I was invited to sit through Light's interrogation process when Matsuda rushed into the room, kicking open the door and shouting that Kira was back. I had never seen anyone so happy about the continuing mass murders in all of history. Dad beamed at the news, turning hastily towards L who was sitting beside me.

"Kira-Kira is back!" Dad shouted after flinching from my cold gaze. He turned his guilty eyes to focus on L before lowering his so that he could pull himself together. "Is Light cleared from his suspicion?!"

L moved his feet, fiddling both his toes together as he stared at the screen emotionlessly, picking up his cup with his second finger and thumb before sipping casually.

"I'm afraid I cannot let him go yet."

Soichiro's shocked face turned pale as he gritted his teeth, facing the screen in which Misa was still screaming about being kidnapped by a crazy stalker fan. I sighed a bit in my mouth, chewing on the gum and blowing a large bubble apathetically.

"Ryuzaki, for once I agree with chief Soichiro. The health of both Misa and Light will be endangered if this continues." One of the task force members, Shuichi Aizawa spoke out seriously as my eyes glanced towards his face. I could tell that he was beginning to panic, yet still held his poker face for the sake of professionalism.

He was a tall man, with both a black afro and dark brown eyes. His moustache was also untrimmed like dad's, however, it wasn't that rigid compared to Soichiro.

"In the first place, Light should have been cleared from suspicion when he joined the Kira task force," Aizawa bit out harshly before narrowing his eyes. "Are you sure you aren't keeping them confined because you can't admit that your suspicions were wrong?"

L turned his face towards Aizawa the moment those words left his mouth.

"I am quite positive with my speculation that Light is Kira. In fact, I allowed him to join the force because I wanted to test him at a closer range. Please do not wrongfully accuse me of my suspicions before handing out thick evidence that I could be wrong."

And with that, L turned back to munching on his macaroons. I heard Aizawa fume as he paced out of the room, slamming the door behind him as Dad swallowed thickly. L turned towards me with a quiet gaze.

"What do you think, Sayu?" He asked.

I blew another bubble before reaching out to snatch a macaroon from his plate, twirling my gum to the upper pocket of my left teeth and munching into the macaroon, grinning from the sweet taste.

"Time will tell," I turned back to L who gave me a head tilt. "If the Kira killings continue, then I have a theory."

"Continue?!" Dad raised his head as he stared at me with disbelief. "Sayu! Your brother is suffering-"

"Even more than me?" I raised my eyebrows and cocked my head, smiling wistfully.

"I was tortured by mom for over a week," my nose wrinkled at his insensitive words. "Light wanted to prove his innocence himself. Give him what he wants."

I saw the emotion eating dad up as I stared cruelly at him, Matsuda and the others gulping at the tension between us.

"This theory," L spoke up, snatching my attention. "Would you please elaborate?"

Giving him a smile that did not reach my own eyes, I turned back to the TV and stared hardly.

"My brother has changed."

"Oh?" L's eyes glinted with a suggestive light. "How so?"

"He seems so much more..." I trailed off. "Innocent."