CHAPTER 24

"I can help." Sabay na napatingin ang apat na nasa loob ng kusina kay Jasper na sumulpot mula sa bukana. "I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but I happened to overhear your conversation. I can help... only if you need one. Or I can just walk out of here as if nothing happens." Jasper smiled, a half awkward half apologetic smile.

"This is not something you want to get yourself into, man."

"We appreciate the help, Jas. But Gin is right, we don't want to involve you with this, it is dangerous. We are thankful for last time but doing this will put your life at risk," Vodka added. She can't afford to lose a friend if things turn south, hindi pa man katagalan mula nang magkakilala sila ni Jasper ngunit itinuturing na niya itong kaibigan.

"I'll be fine, I can take care of myself, come on I'm not that weak, you know that, man. And besides, this is what friends do, helping each other. And I want to do something good to the country, that the least thing I can do."

"Okay," Eugene and motioned a fist bump which Jasper gladly responded with a smile of relief.

"I have a suggestion."

"Let's hear it out," Felix said who nodded at Jasper as an act of acknowledgment.

"Instead of handing the evidence to NBI, why don't we give it to the most powerful person in the country?"

"You mean to say—" Vodka trailed off. For a second she doesn't know what to think about Jasper's suggestion.

"Yes, the president himself. It'll be safer if we hand it to him, who knows if there's a mole in the NBI or in the police forces."

"But it isn't that easy. We can't just barge in to the malacañang palace and say, hey, I want to talk to the most powerful man in the Philippines," it was from Scarlet.

"Yeah, she's making sense," Felix and for the first time he agreed to Scarlet. He looked at her and she gave him a lopsided smile, but a cold one.

"I know someone from the palace, the presidential spokesperson is a relative of my mother. He used to stay at our house, my family take him in and gave him home until he was fifteen and moved out. I didn't meet him in person but I could try to reach out to him. If my mother is still alive it'll be easier to reach him, maybe I could ask my older brother for a little help, they've known each other and I guess they get in touch once in a while..." Tiningnan ni Jasper ang apat na matamang nakatingin sa kanya at nagkibit balikat. "So what do you think?"

"That makes sense, I like that, Mr. Ex-Racer."

"Thanks... but I have a name if you may ask."

"Sure," Scarlet answered indifferently.

"Okay, but we only have two days, two days to reach out to the spokesperson. We couldn't take any longer. My house is not easy to infiltrate but it's not impossible."

In a just a day, with the help of Jasper's older brother, they got the chance to talk to the presidential spokesperson. Jasper and Eugene talked to him in a video call, he did not believe it at first and got mad at them. He even ended a call and they were sure that the spokesperson was cursing them in his head for wasting his precious time. But when they send him one of the videos on Patrick Castillo's phone, ito mismo ang tumawag sa kanila.

The presidential spokesperson talked to the president about it. After convincing the president, he then called Jasper and Eugene and set a personal appointment with the president of the Philippines himself.

"And then what? You'll be bait? That is just ridiculous, Eugene."

"This is the only chance we got. And besides, I asked for the NBI's assistance, the director will send some of the agents for my aid, to back me up. Ipapalabas natin sa mga tauhan ni congressman Castillo na ako ang may dala ng cellphone. And that's Jasper's chance to bring the phone to the president."