Chapter 68

Mela and I were back on the upper level, near the edge of the chasm that cut through the catacombs, facing off against one another

Mela and I were back on the upper level, near the edge of the chasm that cut through the catacombs, facing off against one another. Both of us had our feet braced apart with our fists parked on our hips, bristling with dark scowls that matched the others.

After our return from the subterranean catacombs, we'd squatted around the map with Petra and Jiao. I'd sketched the route to Yezekael's nest while describing its burrow in as much detail as I could. We had a better chance of ambushing the creature unawares if we came in at the point the Uzrek had guided us to.

Now, Mela and I were arguing over how to trap it.

Nelle's dire state was distracting me. Her wretched emotions trembled beneath my skin as that strange feral sensation scratched at my nerves to save her, save her, save her...

I was twitchy and on edge; my tone reduced to a feral bark. I suspected what plagued her, the why of it, and I knew it would test her courage, but she needed to rally and see it through.

Please, Nelle.

And if what the Uzrek suspected was true, the reason why Sirro wanted this creature was because of my mother, I, in turn, had to achieve this mission. I couldn't allow Yezekael to slip through my fingers. That's why I wanted this done now and fast, which wasn't what the Văduvas were advising.

"We need to be careful. The creature can't be tipped off that we're down here," Mela snapped at me. The attitude dripping from her tone had my hackles rising.

"I know that," I bit back, flinging an arm wide.

"It's not even here—"

"It could have returned by now!"

"So you want to march down there with your warband, and the moment Yezekael shows its face, pounce?"

"Well, yeah," I replied, lamely. Except in my head, it seemed better than how she put it.

"No," she flatly refused, stalking closer. "This is what's going to happen. We'll all leave for home to clean up and get some sleep, while my House plans and gathers the necessary items. And it will be the Văduvas who'll set the trap, the way we want it to go down."

I blinked. "Huh?" Was she thinking of taking over completely? I stabbed a finger into my chest. "This is my hunt," I gritted out, canting forward to get right in her face. "I'll be sorting this out with my House. I'm the one who found Yezekael's nest."

"Thanks to the Stone Eater," Mela tossed back at me, rolling her eyes.

I hadn't mentioned the Uzrek's involvement to anyone, not even to Mela. The ancient beast had vacated my mind soon after I'd thanked him.

Mela rubbed a hand over her face and drew in a deep breath. She took a step back and relaxed her stance. The soft glow from the cloud of iridescent dragonflies hovering around us illuminated the buttery undertone to her dark complexion. Her voice was gentler but still flinty. "Everyone's tired Gray. We have one shot at this, and we need to ensure we set ourselves up with the best chance at capturing it." An eyebrow arched as she waved a hand dramatically through the air. "This needs Văduva finesse, not Crowther brutality."