Chapter 93

I was still reeling at the Hangman's Noose draped down my back, that I hadn't noticed the dressing room's door opening once more

I was still reeling at the Hangman's Noose draped down my back, that I hadn't noticed the dressing room's door opening once more. It wasn't until Lila breezed around me in a flutter of ivory silk that I realized she'd returned.

And with company.

Sheer tulle swished against my legs as I twisted around to watch Kenton stroll inside. Like Caidan, he wasn't exactly dressed for the heat. He might have taken off his jacket, but over the top of his lightweight shirt, he wore a waistcoat. Maybe I'd strike a bit of luck and all the Crowthers would topple over with heat stroke and die on me.

He spoke to his aunt in a deep, brusque voice. "Zielenski's waiting for us. Jett and Caidan are still working the room."

I huffed a cold laugh. Folding my arms over my chest, I popped a hip out. "Working the room? Are they sliding up and down stripper poles to earn a bit of pocket money?"

There wasn't even a twitch of his lips or a vexed narrowing of his eyes to indicate he'd heard me. It was as if I were beneath his notice. Valarie at least frowned at my quip before stepping away. She headed toward the tall rack of leather cloaks to speak to Lila in the corner of the room. Turning her back to us, she spoke to the younger woman quietly.

Kenton sauntered closer to me with the indolent air of a mountain lion. His skin shimmered with perspiration at the base of his throat where the striped shirt was unbuttoned. At the very least he'd rolled up his sleeves, revealing inky black flames and the flourish of Ukkenskrit wrapping around his powerful forearms right down to his wrists. Slipping a hand into the pocket of his pants, he widened his stance. Yellow light stroked the short locks of black hair as he angled his head sideways while perusing my appearance. It was an efficient glide of his gaze, nothing sexual, just noting the details. No, Kenton wasn't interested in me that way. I may as well have been a block of wood for the way he examined my figure.

However, when his gaze locked onto the ghastly message tied around my throat, it could have been a necklace of diamonds or a choker of rare pearls with the intensity he stared, the way his gaze caressed the coarse fibers twisted together.

Finally, his eyes lifted to meet mine

He was stoic. Unreadable. Much as he'd always been.

However, when his attention skipped away to whoever lingered behind me, his dark violet eyes flared wide with shock.

A brush of air swirled against my side, stirring my skirt, as someone stepped to my side. When I glanced sidelong I found Penn standing there. My skin tingled with surprise and comfort when her warm fingers looped around my hand.

Penn stared right at Kenton in challenge.

I wondered once more, how Penn had come to arrive at the Keep. And what had she earlier meant by—it's complicated?

I knew deep in my soul that Kenton loved Penn desperately.

Maybe they couldn't be together because of their differences in rank. But more likely because she was from the world of mortals. From what Graysen had shared with me about his ancestor Konrad marrying a mortal, Posey, he'd brought ruin to their Great House. And his family line had almost been annihilated one storm-swept night. I was sure the Crowthers would be reluctant to tempt history to repeat itself all over again.